Home » Audio » Radio » Radio is dead
Radio is dead [message #79840] Thu, 24 April 2014 21:44 Go to next message
Nisha is currently offline  Nisha
Baron
I read today about a well-known radio presenter 'announcing' that radio is dead, and that he is ready to host the funeral. His new "unradio" project will be streamed both online and on WeChat.

This made me wonder if anyone still listens to radio broadcasts. I only do so when I am driving an want to listen to the traffic update.
Re: Radio is dead [message #79842 is a reply to message #79840] Fri, 25 April 2014 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
We have a local broadcast station that I listen to as I drive to work. They have talks and discussions on current events. It passes the time on my long ride in. I know of a few people that do the same.
Re: Radio is dead [message #79971 is a reply to message #79840] Fri, 16 May 2014 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
I listen to the radio every day. I'm not into all the Satellite radio stations. I listen to our local station at work every single day. It is a country station and I love to hear the music and the DJ's.
Re: Radio is dead [message #80068 is a reply to message #79840] Tue, 10 June 2014 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Harlow is currently offline  Harlow
Chancellor
I listen to a local DJ that does a broadcast. He still does a great job of keeping listeners entertained, IMO. Also, he does a lot of shout outs to loyal listeners, and shows up at a lot of local events. He really tries to keep engaged with the community.
Re: Radio is dead [message #80080 is a reply to message #80068] Thu, 12 June 2014 22:33 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I guess it depends on what you consider "radio". I use XM / Sirris in the car all the time and it is a form of radio. There are just as many AM and FM stations in our area as before (many) so a pronouncement of demise is a bit premature. I would venture that there are now more people listing to music in one form or another and many of the newer listeners are using non-radio sources for their music. Music streaming has now gone way beyond where it started. In the high resolution modes is quite excellent. Even low cost (or free) downloads are pretty good. Music streaming to mobile / portable devices is still a bit iffy and often limited by band width available. In my opinion the current trends have both good and bad aspects. Good in that a greater percentage of individuals are being exposed to music, bad in that many are listening to what I would call lo-fi quality with marginal devices. Once you hear a really high quality reproduction of something it it likely to make it difficult to go back to something of lessor quality.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Radio stations constantly changing
Next Topic: Airline Floor Model
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:40:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers