Home » Audio » Radio » Vintage FM Tuner
Vintage FM Tuner [message #79599] Thu, 27 February 2014 21:12 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Here is my latest "find". One of the local Radio Shack Associate stores here is closing. The tuner has been on display at it forever (more than 10 years for sure) so I snagged it today. Before they would not part with it. The tuner is from 1959 and is all tubes. It works and is in really good condition. It will be a nice addition to my all tube system. I still need a schematic for it and will test the tubes tomorrow. I have many replacements in case any are weak.index.php?t=getfile&id=1428&private=0

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Vintage FM Tuner [message #79604 is a reply to message #79599] Fri, 28 February 2014 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh man, Bruce, that is soooo awesome! I'm filled with envy. Talk about nostalgia...

Re: Vintage FM Tuner [message #79605 is a reply to message #79604] Fri, 28 February 2014 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Yes indeed and it works. It requires a decent antenna and the sound is not up to current standards, but still nice. Photos are of the chassis top and bottom.index.php?t=getfile&id=1429&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1430&private=0

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Vintage FM Tuner [message #79624 is a reply to message #79605] Wed, 05 March 2014 21:32 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Thanks to another diyer (different forum) I obtained a schematic and set up data. It now works pretty well considering it was a modest performance device back then. It turns out that Radio Shack had three versions of it as a kit and one assembled. They were spin offs of a Harmon Kardon FM tuner of the same vintage (1953-59). How they all worked that out is lost to history. Mine turns out to be the third and last version of the three kits. They called them kits, but basically it was just attaching the PS, audio cables and the case. I contacted Radio Shack at first and they drew a blank on their archives. Then too they are closing 1100 (20%) of their stores (announced yesterday) and seem to have lost contact with their customer base.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Lack of variety
Next Topic: Radio stations constantly changing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:41:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers