Home » Audio » Source » Long Term Storage
Long Term Storage [message #79563] Mon, 24 February 2014 04:36 Go to next message
Samuel is currently offline  Samuel
Baron
Are there particular formats for storing your audio, that will last for longer than others? I don't mean those which won't become obsolete, but rather those that won't wear out or degrade.
Re: Long Term Storage [message #79582 is a reply to message #79563] Tue, 25 February 2014 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iceage is currently offline  Iceage
Baron
All media will suffer degradation over time. CDs last a long time before their metal layer starts to oxidize, but we are still only talking a couple of decade.

The best as I understand it is a hard drive. This can be external, but it has to be powered up on a regular basis. Doing this while attached to the computer helps to catch and fix errors as they occur and to fix them. It also means that the file can be kept backed up so that if a failure happens, it isn't an end of life situation for the file.
Re: Long Term Storage [message #79588 is a reply to message #79563] Wed, 26 February 2014 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hard drives aren't the most convenient thing in the world unfortunately. What about solid state storage such as flash drives, how long would they last?
Re: Long Term Storage [message #79591 is a reply to message #79563] Wed, 26 February 2014 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iceage is currently offline  Iceage
Baron
I don't have figures on hand but what I can tell you is this. Every time a new technology comes out, it is generally backwards compatible. That means that as long as you continually move your files to the latest storage, you'll be OK.

Not to mention, when you are storing digitally, you have the option of keeping good backups. The backup means that should one copy degrade or become damaged, you have a spare. So long as you check on the files to make sure the storage is working, and keep it safely stored, I think you'll be OK.
Re: Long Term Storage [message #79596 is a reply to message #79563] Thu, 27 February 2014 04:21 Go to previous message
Baron
Sounds like a lot of work, or at least like the onus is on me and that otherwise, any format will work? Thanks for the help, I'll look into getting a good external hard drive.
Previous Topic: Analogue to Digital on a Laptop
Next Topic: Good Digital Players
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 10:13:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout