Home » Audio » Source » Digital Formats
Digital Formats [message #79514] Thu, 20 February 2014 03:54 Go to next message
Samuel is currently offline  Samuel
Baron
I am aware of some of the differences in compression techniques with digital music formats, but only barely. I know that some are loseless, others are lossy formats and that this must cause differences in the reproduction quality.

So of the available formats today, what would give the truest reproduction quality?
Re: Digital Formats [message #79777 is a reply to message #79514] Wed, 02 April 2014 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GraceGeorge is currently offline  GraceGeorge
Esquire
The audio file format is used for storing the digital audio on the computer system. that data can be stored compressed or uncompressed to reduce the size of the file.
Re: Digital Formats [message #82229 is a reply to message #79514] Thu, 17 March 2016 02:56 Go to previous message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
Ultimately it depends on what you want to use the audio files for. For collection purpose, you may want to have the files as close to original with complete information. Uncompressed format is your best choice. At times, though, you may want to bring the files on mobile where storage is more limited. You will need compressed files by then. I am not sensitive enough to notice the tiny differences between lossless and lossy formats, so technically I prefer files with small size so I can keep a lot of items before buying additional space.
Previous Topic: Local stations with streaming devices
Next Topic: Clean with Glue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:23:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout