Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » How to improve?
How to improve? [message #79502] Wed, 19 February 2014 14:16 Go to next message
jgoodd8050 is currently offline  jgoodd8050
Chancellor
I'd like to get some input on how to improve bass response for this room. Left and right speakers are 7pi's that I enjoy very much. Adding subs is an obvious next step. The front wall is perfect for an IB sub system if the location proves good. I should probably build a small sealed sub to test... The back hall might be good for small sealed or ported.

Room dimensions are 7H x 11W x 17L.
I have "supper chunk" style absorption above the 7pi's.
Sound pannels are 2" thick, mounted on the wall.
The frequency response graph has no smoothing.
Measurements were taken from the listening position.
I run 60% music and 40% movies.

Objectives:
Smoother responce under 200hz.
Extension flat to 10-15hz at 110db.

Questons:
How would the multi-sub approach work with the 7pi's?
Do I need to be concerned about phase issues between the 7pi's subs on the front wall?
How high should I cross over the subs? (might effect driver choice)
What am I missing?

Thank in advance for the help!
Jeremy

index.php?t=getfile&id=1426&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1427&private=0
  • Attachment: test.jpg
    (Size: 64.87KB, Downloaded 3360 times)
  • Attachment: HT Room.jpg
    (Size: 194.64KB, Downloaded 3403 times)
Re: How to improve? [message #79503 is a reply to message #79502] Wed, 19 February 2014 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michaelzh is currently offline  Michaelzh
Chancellor
My setup has seven PI corner horns. I built 2 three PI subwoofers with three PI subwoofer kits I ordered from PI speakers web site. I placed the subs where it is convenient in the room for me some where in the mid section along the longer walls. The subs brought a very large good change in the sound presentation. It seems that with a smooth low end, the mid and high become more real.
Re: How to improve? [message #79504 is a reply to message #79503] Wed, 19 February 2014 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the input. I expect similar results once I get a well designed sub system up and running!
Re: How to improve? [message #79518 is a reply to message #79504] Thu, 20 February 2014 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BFP is currently offline  BFP
Baron
According to your graph you could use some support below 60hz. My experience has been that 2 smaller subs work better than 1 large one. I have a simple rectangular room 12.5 x 19ft with 3Pi's in 2 corners and 2 15" sealed subs in the corners behind me. I have no problem getting good integration in that setup. I previously had 1 large 2 driver sub and it was not as easy to integrate and always seemed to take more power to get good bass at the listening position.

Re: How to improve? [message #79521 is a reply to message #79518] Thu, 20 February 2014 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with the comments already provided. Constant directivity cornerhorns benefit from multisub installations just as much as any other loudspeaker configuration. There is some debate as to what individual loudspeaker configurations are least sensitive to room modes, but there is no debate that any configuration solves them for an individual source. The only solutions to the room mode problem involve room damping and multiple sound sources.

That said, one thing the constant directivity cornerhorn does that no other configuration can is to remove the nearest boundary reflection. Since the source is acoustically close, there is no self-interference from nearest boundaries. This is a huge benefit, and it eliminates the need for flanking subs, which are a form of multisub setup.

Still, distributed subs work wonders for constant directivity cornerhorns. They can be in opposite corners, e.g. a Welti configuration. Or they can be placed in random locations, a la Geddes. Either way, when you add a couple subs to the room, you will then have four bass sound sources and that will greatly smooth room modes. It will also offer additional deep bass extension, which is really fun for home theater.

Re: How to improve? [message #79551 is a reply to message #79502] Sat, 22 February 2014 11:27 Go to previous message
Chancellor
I probably better pick up a couple of subs to work on placement next. Thanks for all the input.
Previous Topic: Restoring a 1951 Philco 5W mono console... Thinking a 7 Pi! (Have a few questions)
Next Topic: Hi and a Few Questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 05:31:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout