Home » Audio » General » Sound fading in and out
Sound fading in and out [message #79487] Wed, 19 February 2014 02:07 Go to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
I have a home theater system that is way too new to be giving me problems. It doesn't seem to know that (or care), however, and the sound is fading in and out. I've checked all the speaker wires and don't see anything loose. What else could it be?
Re: Sound fading in and out [message #79492 is a reply to message #79487] Wed, 19 February 2014 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Samuel is currently offline  Samuel
Baron
Can you describe it a little more please? Is the sound actually getting louder and quieter over the speakers when you are sat in one place, or is it as you move across the room (as in you have quiet spots). Does it do it if you use a headset?
Re: Sound fading in and out [message #79505 is a reply to message #79492] Wed, 19 February 2014 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Is the sound still clean and undistorted? Often if a device has this sort of problem it is related to power to the amplifier sections. Are there any other symptoms?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Sound fading in and out [message #79508 is a reply to message #79492] Thu, 20 February 2014 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Samuel wrote on Wed, 19 February 2014 05:23
Can you describe it a little more please? Is the sound actually getting louder and quieter over the speakers when you are sat in one place, or is it as you move across the room (as in you have quiet spots). Does it do it if you use a headset?

Yes, the sound actually gets louder or quieter when we are sitting on the couch. It's not a matter of our movement. I don't know if it happens with headphones, though, because I never use them with this system.
Re: Sound fading in and out [message #79509 is a reply to message #79505] Thu, 20 February 2014 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
gofar99 wrote on Wed, 19 February 2014 20:24
Hi, Is the sound still clean and undistorted? Often if a device has this sort of problem it is related to power to the amplifier sections. Are there any other symptoms?

Yes, the sound is still clean and undistorted and no, there are no other symptoms that I can discern. I really thought it would be loose speaker wires but when everything checkout out, I was absolutely stumped.
Re: Sound fading in and out [message #79883 is a reply to message #79509] Mon, 28 April 2014 20:32 Go to previous message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've seen it in the decoder sections of some receivers, if the source was recorded in DTS, Dolby Prologic etc, sometimes the receiver will have a hard time deciphering the difference. Make sure your speaker selection is set up right, Left and Right channels, Center channel if your using one, and the left and right rear channels. Some receivers you can set the distance between the front and rear speakers and control the volume levels between each of the speakers to your listening position.
Previous Topic: Cable Differences
Next Topic: "Are Audiophiles Wasting Their Money?"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:13:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout