Home » Audio » General » Getting Into Audio Books
Getting Into Audio Books [message #79454] Fri, 14 February 2014 14:58 Go to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
I never thought I would say this, but I think I am going to start buying audio books. I'm having a lot of issues with my eyes lately, and even new contacts and new eyeglasses aren't helping that much. I don't know anything about audio books, though. Where's the best place to get them? Do different companies use different narrators? What do you do if you want to listen to a certain book but you don't like the sound of the narrator's voice?
Re: Getting Into Audio Books [message #79511 is a reply to message #79454] Thu, 20 February 2014 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioClueless is currently offline  AudioClueless
Baron
There are different companies, but I only use Audible. I don't have eyesight problems, I just like them. They help me to fall asleep (I bookmark where I start each night so I can go back if I fall asleep fast) and I use them when I'm doing housework and cooking.

Narrators are hit and miss. You can listen to a sample of each before you buy to see if you like them. I've had a few I hated and returned, there was something stilted and jarring about their reading. Not all services let you return books, and Audible only allow a couple per year.
Re: Getting Into Audio Books [message #79512 is a reply to message #79454] Thu, 20 February 2014 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
Thanks for the reply; I'll look into Audible. I really hope I can get these eyesight issues cleared up soon but in the meantime, it's made it a lot harder for me to read or do things on the computer!
Re: Getting Into Audio Books [message #79527 is a reply to message #79454] Fri, 21 February 2014 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioClueless is currently offline  AudioClueless
Baron
There are a large number of programs that might make your computer time a little easier. Look for screen readers, and screen magnifiers that are designed for visually impaired computer users. They will be listed as accessibility software.
Re: Getting Into Audio Books [message #79530 is a reply to message #79454] Fri, 21 February 2014 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Samuel is currently offline  Samuel
Baron
Audiobooks really do have their place. In particular they are great for children in the car, on long journeys. They act as boredom busters without the need for endless screen time, and there is a wonderful selection of books available.
Re: Getting Into Audio Books [message #79867 is a reply to message #79454] Sun, 27 April 2014 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nisha is currently offline  Nisha
Baron
I have never given audio books much thought, but the posts in this thread ignited an interest. I tend to get migraines when I strain my eyes too much; audio books seem to be a possible solution. I am not quite sure what themes are available, meaning story books, scientific books, magazines, latest news... Where does a rookie start in this new 'unfamiliar frontier' to find out what types of audio books are available? Is a set of headphones all that is needed to access an audio book?
Re: Getting Into Audio Books [message #79870 is a reply to message #79454] Sun, 27 April 2014 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Round2 is currently offline  Round2
Viscount
I have a friend who swears by audio books. He even listens to it when he goes jogging or for walks. He says it's very calming, especially when you get a good speaker.
Re: Getting Into Audio Books [message #79874 is a reply to message #79870] Mon, 28 April 2014 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I love listening to the "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy" series while driving sometimes. Like to listen to Richard Bach's "Illusions" too. Not always, sometimes I like music, sometimes talk radio and sometimes audio books. But I drive enough I get a chance to listen to 'em all.

Re: Getting Into Audio Books [message #80022 is a reply to message #79870] Sat, 31 May 2014 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pk20 is currently offline  pk20
Baron
Round2 wrote on Sun, 27 April 2014 17:39
I have a friend who swears by audio books. He even listens to it when he goes jogging or for walks. He says it's very calming, especially when you get a good speaker.

A woman at work jogs at lunch and listen to her audio book while she runs. She says it keeps her focused on her running. I haven't gotten into it yet but I'm afraid I might fall asleep with someone reading in my ear.
Re: Getting Into Audio Books [message #80083 is a reply to message #79454] Fri, 13 June 2014 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Harlow is currently offline  Harlow
Chancellor
I can relate to you! I told myself I would never get into them. I kind of thought of them as lazy. I mean why not just read? When my father-in-law got very ill a few years back though, we would have to take him long distances to doctor visits in the car. My wife started bringing along some audio book- CDs, and we all loved them.
Previous Topic: Podcasts
Next Topic: Video game audio rant
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:40:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout