Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Ping: Speakerman57
Ping: Speakerman57 [message #11241] Thu, 27 October 2005 17:52 Go to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi Ron,
Have you had the opportunity to hear the Yamamoto DC 300B and 45 SET amplifiers? If so, could you give us a comparison between your 45 SET and the DC heated models by Yamamoto?
And finally, what would you consider to be a good horn three or four way system that has the mid-bass through treble drivers horn loaded and uses a quality bass reflex or better sub-bass design? Price no object to a realisticly priced system that can be bought on the used market for the cheapskates and poor audiophiles.
I am looking forward to your reply.
Thanks
Norris Wilson

speaker part [message #11242 is a reply to message #11241] Thu, 27 October 2005 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The speaker question is about as complex as it comes. I have a 3-way, and it is going to get a bit of an update soon.

Bass: JBL 4560 cabs loaded with EVM-15L EV's

Mids: Fostex FE107, horn loaded with 18" axial length, 30-degree included and a 2" throat.

Top: an old R-S horn. Not all that efficient, but it works, and has for a long time.

Updating the mids to an AlNiCo RCA compression driver, and I'll re-make the horn so as to compliment the old RCA.

Itching to try a ribbon for the top. One of the more affordable will be adequate.

This can be assembled quite inexpensively. Nobody has said it sucks yet...
cheers,
Douglas

Re: speaker part [message #11245 is a reply to message #11242] Fri, 28 October 2005 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PeterP is currently offline  PeterP
Esquire
Douglas,

"Mids: Fostex FE107, horn loaded with 18" axial length, 30-degree included and a 2" throat."

I just finished a little 6L dual port FE107E. Right now I'm using it full range as an office system. I was wondering as to what crossover points are you using your horn? I really like the mid-range of this speaker.
When used in your system as a horn loaded mid, is it capable of "party" levels? There is just too much break-up when playing high volume levels at full range for me to tell if it's worth putting this driver into my main system.

Is the:
"Bass: JBL 4560 cabs loaded with EVM-15L EV's " the same ones that you had in MD?

Regards,

Pete.

Re: speaker part [message #11246 is a reply to message #11245] Fri, 28 October 2005 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-hey!!!,
The system only has ~12 W behind it. It has no problems with high volume. I bounced the cone off the throat plate when I crossed it at ~400cps with a 1st order series cap. The horn unloaded, and excursion went up.

Right now it has a 20 uF series cap as its x-over. An old PCB GE AC cap. This puts it at ~1000 cps or so. Single L in series with the 15".

The 4560 is like the Altec A-7 bass bin with a slightly smaller volume. The 12" BR boxes I brought to MD are still in action from time to time, and are distinctly diffferent from the bigger JBL's.
cheers,
Douglas

Yamamoto 45 amp and Wellborne DRD 300B [message #11247 is a reply to message #11241] Mon, 31 October 2005 09:00 Go to previous message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Norris,

Good to hear from you! I have the amps listed above and they are a close match to each other with the Yamamoto being slightly better(and only slightly less powerful sounding).

I will try and be more descriptive in a future post as free time has been limited lately with domestic/family issues.

I am using the EML 45's with the Yamamoto and they sound great!

Ron

Previous Topic: Anyone tried other op points in Guinevere?
Next Topic: Need power supply schematic for Merlin amplifier?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:59:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio