Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Need 15 watt plus SET design for DIY?
Need 15 watt plus SET design for DIY? [message #11229] Thu, 13 October 2005 09:32 Go to next message
Norris Wilson is currently offline  Norris Wilson
Grand Master
Hi everyone,
After retinking my previuos request for a 20 watt SET design.
I realized that I am asking for the impossible when I excluded an 845 and VV52 from the design, or the EML 520B.
If anyone can help guide me to any good SET designs that are capable of getting 15 watts or greater, it will be greatly appreciated?
Any output tube will be considered for use, triode, tetrode or pentode.
Thanks
Norris Wilson

Re: Need 15 watt plus SET design for DIY? [message #11230 is a reply to message #11229] Thu, 13 October 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Try a parallel 300b: 18 watts.
OR any parallel Pentode design, wired in triode mode: like an el34...should give you plenty of power!
-akhilesh

Thanks Akhilesh (NT) [message #11231 is a reply to message #11230] Thu, 13 October 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
nt

KT-88 E-Linear... [message #11235 is a reply to message #11230] Fri, 14 October 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
From Pete Millett's AudioXpress article, an E-Linear rigged KT88 will deliver the goods. At least to within a hard to measure difference in power.

Of course, a PP E-Linear amp would be my choice to deliver the power, but you asked about SE...This is about te simplest and sweet sounding circuits I can think of. Pete confirmed it works as well for SE as I hae found it for PP.
cheers,
Douglas

Thanks Douglas, looks good! [message #11236 is a reply to message #11235] Fri, 14 October 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
This may do the trick, but it is up to my friend to figure that out.
I was wondering about the parts quality given in the project list.
Do you feel this should be built as specified, or should boutique parts and transformers be substituted to obtain the last degree?
I have not seen much mentioned about the James transfomers, but they look to be affordable, any input there?
Any and all suggestions to get the most out of this circuit will be greatly appreciated, with in a buget of $1200 or so.
Thanks
Norris

Re: Thanks Douglas, looks good! [message #11237 is a reply to message #11236] Fri, 14 October 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don't have any experience with James OPTx's. I have heard good things from folks who have used them, and they are way above certain other allegedly 'custom' in my book.

I would generally stay away from boutique parts, and prefer instead industrial stuff I can get the full data and specifications on( and interpret the need as best I can to compare to published specs ).

For example:
The plate load resistor only needs two( one for each channel ) so even an expensive one is not going to make a big dent in the budget if youy spend $6 each....

You can contact Pete for direct assistance( I would hope ), and discuss it with him. Or you can call me, as I speak faster than I type.
cheers,
Douglas

Contact info? [message #11239 is a reply to message #11237] Sat, 15 October 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Hi Douglas,
Here is my Email address: nwwdlw@netzero.net
Would you please contact me about a phone discussion about the
E-Linear ciruit?
If I do not get back with you right away, I will be gone most of the week starting on Sunday. Otherwise, I will get back to you as soon as I return.
Thanks
Norris Wilson

you have mail [message #11240 is a reply to message #11239] Sun, 16 October 2005 04:51 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
of course, if you don't...it means I made some sort ov mistake.
cheers,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Looking for good 20 watt amp design to drive Jordan TL's?
Next Topic: Say Douglas
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 00:15:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout