Home » Audio » General » Bose (What's the deal?)
Bose [message #79295] Wed, 05 February 2014 05:00 Go to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
Everyone always says that Bose is the best brand in stereo equipment... Or at least that's what everyone I know says. What's the deal with Bose? What makes Bose equipment so much better than other brands? Is it really the best? And if not, which brand is?
Re: Bose [message #79308 is a reply to message #79295] Wed, 05 February 2014 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, You need to go to audiophile forums and sites for their thoughts. BOSE is the name for "buy other stereo equipment". It is OK for general use like in a home theater where the sound is second to the video. Imperfections abound in the media so some in the play back chain will nearly always be un-noticed. BOSE tends to be rather overpriced for what you get. In the stores that sell it...the set ups are very precise and are nearly impossible to duplicate at home. It will sound pretty good with the proper sort of source material. Unfortunately when you play some of your own familiar stuff it will likely not be nearly as good as you thought it should sound. There was some info about 2-3 years ago that in the big setups they used behind the scenes equalization and other sonic enhancements to make the exhibit even more appealing. I will not mention which stores did this, but the info was credible. They can get away with selling their stuff as about 75% of the population is unable to distinguish high quality sound from loud sound. All this is unfortunate as the original basis for the company was to produce gear that sounded great and they wanted to avoid getting sucked in the specification wars that were going on at the time. The wars are still going and somewhere along the way BOSE lost its original intent. I give them credit for durable products and longevity.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Bose [message #79324 is a reply to message #79295] Thu, 06 February 2014 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kenwoody is currently offline  Kenwoody
Viscount
I've always thought that Bose was kind of overrated, honestly. A friend of mine has a Bose sound bar with mp3 dock and to me it doesn't sound any better than other brands of sound bar docks.
Re: Bose [message #79354 is a reply to message #79295] Sat, 08 February 2014 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kenwoody is currently offline  Kenwoody
Viscount
On second thought, I think Bose developing a rep as the best might have something to do with how audio stores represent them. I just got back from an audio store where the premium Bose system had its own special sound proof room, separate from everyone and everything else.
Re: Bose [message #80069 is a reply to message #79295] Wed, 11 June 2014 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gstarey66 is currently offline  gstarey66
Chancellor
Hello,

My personal opinion of Bose is that after looking at the quality of the parts and how it is made that it is more than a bit overpriced.

Parts quality is compensated somewhat by electronics frequency equalization and some good design, but really isn't great. There is a reason the company can afford to spend millions advertising the way they do.

I would recommend taking a look at what it is you are buying and looking at other brands to see how they compare. You are the one that needs to be satisfied with your ears and the money spent to get there.

Regards,
Greg
Re: Bose [message #80070 is a reply to message #79295] Wed, 11 June 2014 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gstarey66 is currently offline  gstarey66
Chancellor
Hello,

My personal opinion of Bose is that after looking at the quality of the parts and how it is made that it is more than a bit overpriced.

Parts quality is compensated somewhat by electronics frequency equalization and some good design, but really isn't great. There is a reason the company can afford to spend millions advertising the way they do.

I would recommend taking a look at what it is you are buying and looking at other brands to see how they compare. You are the one that needs to be satisfied with your ears and the money spent to get there.

Regards,
Greg
Re: Bose [message #80071 is a reply to message #79295] Wed, 11 June 2014 16:30 Go to previous message
Harlow is currently offline  Harlow
Chancellor
Honestly, I think Bose is overrated. I think people pay for the name because honestly, when I've asked people why they like the brand, I get a generic answer. I've been happy with other brands that aren't going to burn a hole in my wallet.
Previous Topic: Is there a set of earbuds that don't break?
Next Topic: How Good is Your Ear
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:07:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout