Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » SET amps that will only rock Septeguenarians
SET amps that will only rock Septeguenarians [message #11191] Wed, 17 August 2005 15:43 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I refer to the Welborne DRD 45's.Just got'm playing today with all new (old) tubes. Gonna require a lot of break-in. With pre-amp they don't get loud until 3 o'clock which is raucous with all new parts.
The ingredients are there, tho'.
Incredible repro of cymbal and guitar with that certain 'in the hall ambience' you get with the best 45 and 300B amps.
The tranny's are really cool after many hours; ditto the tubes. My 'Summer' amp.

Re: SET amps that will only rock Septeguenarians [message #11195 is a reply to message #11191] Thu, 18 August 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
What's your winter amp?
(smile)
-akhilesh

My ultimate 45 DRD amps took about 300 hours or so to really come alive.. [message #11196 is a reply to message #11191] Thu, 18 August 2005 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
When they opened up and everything came together they are amazing. They always sounded good, but they went up a few notches to making me get up from the other room to see what had happened to my stereo. The soundstage and imaging got much wider. A good thing to me. I like my Cunningham 245 the best so far in them, but RCA and my other 45 all sound good. Did they ever make a poor sounding 45 tube? Good luck with your amps. John

Re: SET amps that will only rock Septeguenarians [message #11198 is a reply to message #11191] Mon, 22 August 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Hi Bill,

Which speaks, what efficiency and what size room?

Nothing to do with this issue, but I was just reading the Welborne site, and wondered if you went SS or tube rectification.

Waitin' on a pair of Emission Labs Mesh 45's for my Yamamoto. Also waiting for AN Silve foil coupling caps. The copper sound great, but why not go the limit?

Re: SET amps that will only rock Septeguenarians [message #11199 is a reply to message #11198] Mon, 22 August 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My speakers are about 93 dB in an 15x24x8 room. Need to pump up to 100 dB.
Went tube rectification for the softer start and "all tube goodness".
Speakerman 57 got the EML solids and loves them. Says they have more extension and 'grubt' than the RCA's. Wait 'til you see how tall they are!

Re: VTL Wotans (nt) [message #11200 is a reply to message #11195] Mon, 22 August 2005 14:34 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Previous Topic: Super simple linestage.
Next Topic: Help with '45' problem?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:19:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers