Home » Audio » Source » Clean with Glue
Clean with Glue [message #79087] Sun, 26 January 2014 19:00 Go to next message
RustyC is currently offline  RustyC
Baron
I recently stumbled across a unique and interesting way to clean your vinyl records. I have not tried this at home.

It seems that if you coat the record with a film of glue and then peel it off (like we all did in grammar school to our fingers), the glue brings the dirt up out of the cracks.

Here is an example with pictures, from LifeHacker (a site I find all kinds of cool tips on). http://lifehacker.com/5839313/clean-your-records-with-glue
Re: Clean with Glue [message #79092 is a reply to message #79087] Mon, 27 January 2014 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, You can remove blemishes on them with sand paper as well. Laughing I believe I would not try the glue on any valuable LP. I think sticking to my Record Doctor is a far saner and less likely to cause harm approach.

One of the toughest things to get off LPs is the mold release agent that is used in the stamping process. Glue would most likely push it further into the groove and complicate the problem.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Clean with Glue [message #82097 is a reply to message #79087] Mon, 22 February 2016 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Finn is currently offline  Finn
Viscount
I've never tried this before. I've always had such a problem getting the dust out of the vinyl. I also didn't know that you could use sandpaper to remove blemishes. What grit sandpaper would you recommend for this?
Re: Clean with Glue [message #82109 is a reply to message #82097] Mon, 22 February 2016 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, yeah, I think probably the glue idea is not the best idea. Neither is sandpaper, bead blasting or jackhammer treatment.

Some "tech gossip" is really nuts, isn't it?!! Remember the legendary 100MPG carburetor? Or how 'bout the perpetual motion machine? (Bonus points if it's based on a Tesla coil.)

Re: Clean with Glue [message #82305 is a reply to message #79087] Tue, 22 March 2016 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
How about hot wax? If it's good enough for body hair, it's good enough for an LP. Laughing

If I have an album that needs a lot of work to get scratches and such out of them, I'll probably buy a new copy off E-Bay.
Re: Clean with Glue [message #82313 is a reply to message #82305] Fri, 25 March 2016 21:31 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Perhaps a hot melt glue gun would achieve what the wax could not. I suspect you would end up with a very smooth (like no grooves), clean disk that was only slightly warped. Twisted Evil

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Digital Formats
Next Topic: Disc changers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:40:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers