Home » xyzzy » Tower » The big Gmail Scare (yesterday's outage)
The big Gmail Scare [message #79078] Sat, 25 January 2014 19:21 Go to next message
RustyC is currently offline  RustyC
Baron
Was anyone else out there affected by the (thankfully temporary) Gmail outage? It caught me in the middle of a back and forth email exchange I was having with a co-worker. I had to, egads, text her! Seriously, it gave me pause. I realized that if I had to send her something through some other mail client, I couldn't. I didn't even know her address because Google always fills it in for me!
Re: The big Gmail Scare [message #79090 is a reply to message #79078] Mon, 27 January 2014 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jackson is currently offline  Jackson
Viscount
I was not really affected at all by the Gmail outage. I have a Gmail account, but it isn't my primary email account. I would hate to have been trying to conduct business and have no way to email clients! I am glad you had a workaround at least.
Re: The big Gmail Scare [message #79097 is a reply to message #79090] Mon, 27 January 2014 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuckyLucy is currently offline  LuckyLucy
Baron
Well, it scared the bejeebees out of me! I may be the type to overreact, but it made me change a few things. First, I downloaded all my Gmail addresses, and then I set up OutLook to check both Gmail and my ISP's server. I had been just strictly using Gmail's online interface, and having all my email from my ISP forwarded there. Now, I'm junking up my computer with redundancy, but I feel safer. Plus, I heard that even if you can't get to the online interface often the POP3 downloads continue.
Re: The big Gmail Scare [message #79148 is a reply to message #79078] Wed, 29 January 2014 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Welcome to the digital age, where nothing is certain and anything you say or do on line is subject to the whims of chaos. At least you were not the guy in I believe it was Wyoming that had many 1000's of unwanted emails dumped on him. Since I have three different accounts with three different servers I nearly always have access. But it can be an issue if the outage is really long (like days.)

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The big Gmail Scare [message #79207 is a reply to message #79078] Sat, 01 February 2014 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Samuel is currently offline  Samuel
Baron
No, it didn't affect me, but it has in the past. I've been dependent, to a rather scary degree, on technology for many years as it was my major.
Re: The big Gmail Scare [message #79208 is a reply to message #79078] Sat, 01 February 2014 12:48 Go to previous message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
Somehow I missed this, but because so many people were affected it did make me copy and paste my address book to a Word document.
Previous Topic: Best place to buy internet cable?
Next Topic: Super Bowl Sunday!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:27:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout