Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79719 is a reply to message #79706] Tue, 18 March 2014 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jshupe is currently offline  jshupe
Baron
Bill Epstein wrote on Mon, 17 March 2014 12:45
jshupe wrote on Mon, 17 March 2014 00:58

In the mean time, I ordered a Crown XLS-1500 tonight to drive my Pi 4s,

Where are the tubes?

index.php?t=getfile&id=1435&private=0

Coming soon to Pi 4s near you

index.php?t=getfile&id=1436&private=0

Very nice. I hope to pick up a kit amp using tubes in the near future, but need to let my budget recover first! Any suggestions for one?
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79720 is a reply to message #79718] Tue, 18 March 2014 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 18 March 2014 14:44

Pro amps generally need more preamp drive level than consumer gear. Your amp needs 1.4vrms input drive level to reach full power, and this is about twice the voltage commercial preamps deliver (0.775v).

After a lot of research I purchased an Art Cleanbox Pro for each of my Crown amps. They're supposed to be very transparent while increasing the output voltage to something usable with Pro gear. There are very long threads about them on some other forums.

I bought a new oscilloscope (nothing fancy, an Owon SDS7102v) and decided to test it myself. I found the result (293w) to be right inline with the expected 50% capacity.
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79721 is a reply to message #79720] Wed, 19 March 2014 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent! Sounds like you'll get the most out of your Crown amp that way.

By the way, I'm a big fan of Crown amps too. I've always had a few Microtech amps around for high SPL use. They're kind of old-school these days, kind of large and heavy. But they're built like tanks and sound good too. They're arc-welders!

As for a suggestion for tube amps, let me mention these two options:

1. Audio Note Kit 1
2. OddWatt Audio Oddblock

There are plenty of other good tube amp kits out there, but those are my two favorites.
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79731 is a reply to message #78931] Wed, 19 March 2014 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
index.php?t=getfile&id=1443&private=0

For those who haven't been following the thread:

- 2x Pi 4 mains w/ B&C DE250 + JBL 2226H
- 2x Pi 3 subs
- 1x Yamaha RX-A830
- 1x Crown XLS-1500 (mains)
- 1x Crown XLS-2500 (subs)
- 2x Art CleanBox Pro (one for each amp)
- 1x Sansui XR-Q7 turntable w/ Denon DL-110 cart
- 1x Hagerman Bugle 2 w/ 1k loading & 50db gain

index.php?t=getfile&id=1444&private=0

Veneered cabinets, matching TT plinth, and 2x Phase Linear D-500 amps possibly coming in the near future!
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79738 is a reply to message #79731] Thu, 20 March 2014 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Love that system! Love your turntable! Nice!

How do you keep the feedback from killing you though? In between the mains, maybe I guess if you keep the power down. But your Crown's are made for SPL.

Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79739 is a reply to message #79738] Thu, 20 March 2014 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 20 March 2014 09:09

Love that system! Love your turntable! Nice!

How do you keep the feedback from killing you though? In between the mains, maybe I guess if you keep the power down. But your Crown's are made for SPL.

Thanks!

The turntable plinth is made of at least 3/4" wood and has 2+" diameter rubber feet that go at least an inch into the chassis. It does a very good job of damping vibrations from the speakers.

It does become a problem, but not until you reach absurd listening levels.
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79742 is a reply to message #79739] Thu, 20 March 2014 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well there you go! Excellent!

Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79749 is a reply to message #79742] Sun, 23 March 2014 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
It's about time for my review.

I've spent the last couple of months with my upgraded 4Pi mains (DE250, 2226H) and 3Pi subs, and am still in awe of what these speakers can do.

My initial configuration used the integrated amp in my Yamaha RX-A830 receiver, while the subs were powered by a Crown XLS-2500 running wide open with +10dB gain on the receiver just to smoothly transition. The setup sounded good, but was lacking something, and I was not happy with having to run the Crown the way I did just to get things to match. Last week I ordered an additional Crown XLS-1500 and two ART CleanBox Pro's to apply gain to the low output voltage on the receiver to meet the expected input level on each Crown.

I'm going to break the next section of the review into two portions, starting with the 4Pi mains.

When I first powered the system with the Yamaha AVR, the 4Pi's sounded a little cold and unmusical. I attributed this to the drivers needing to be broken in and possibly the amp not being all that great. I also questioned whether I had done something wrong in my build, to the degree of even emailing Wayne to ask about the bass response which seemed absurdly lacking. After a few days of listening, my ears mostly adjusted but I didn't feel that the situation had actually improved. I temporarily moved the mains to the Crown XLS-2500 I had for the subs and they seemed to warm up, open up, and sound much more musical, even at low volumes. Unfortunately I needed the Crown for my subs, so I reverted to the old configuration with the intent to augment the system with some vintage amps I was working on.

Once I started working on the amps, I found that they needed more work than I thought, and I didn't want to wait any longer to get the anticipated sound from these speakers. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a new XLS-1500 and waited anxiously for it to come in.

With the gain fixed and the new amp, the speakers sing beautifully! They are open, musical, smooth, and don't seem to strain at all with anything I've found to throw at them. They sound great at low levels with tiny levels of amplification and are phenomenal at over 90dB. I listen to a lot of live recordings, and these reproduce the recordings in such a way that you can close your eyes and actually think you're there. The sound stage is as wide as the room, and every detail is reproduced. On a couple Coltrane tracks, I was even able to hear him inhale while playing the sax! Little details like that are long lost on other speakers. They make the recordings sound all that much more real.

The sound effects in Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and Billy Thorpe's Children of the Sun are astonishing. The cannons in 1812 Overture sound like real cannons, not muffled or muted at all, though I wish the LP I had played them louder! These have had the wallet-emptying side effect of causing me to collect vinyl, because they do such a great job of picking up everything on them! That being said, they can completely ruin certain albums for you if the mastering is bad (I'm looking at you, Red Hot Chili Peppers!) because they bring out everything -- good and bad.

The 3Pi subs sounded great from the start. I didn't like that the Crown was running at the maximum gain level for both it and the AVR, but then again I knew from the start that wasn't a problem with them, but the gain structure in my system. They are absolutely necessary, in my opinion, to augment the 4Pis if you listen to a lot of different types of music, and especially live recordings. I don't have much to say about them other than they provide extremely clean, solid bass that can be subtle, or shake the house apart, or anywhere in-between. They blend well enough that if I didn't know they were separate boxes, I'd have no idea. In my experience that's the hardest part to get right with a subwoofer.

I've been listening to the following albums, most of them on vinyl:

Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons
Billy Joel - 52nd Street
Billy Thorpe - Children of the Sun (1979 version)
Bruce Springsteen - Live/1975-85
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
John Coltrane - My Favorite Things
Lightnin' Hopkins - Lightnin'!
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Shinyribs - Gulf Coast Museum
Shinyribs - Well After Awhile
Sonata Arctica - Live in Finland
Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture (Dorati)
The Gators - Live in Concert
Tool - Lateralus (2 LP)
Valerie June - Pushin' Against a Stone

... and several extended sessions of listening to the "Top 1000 Live Classic Rock Songs" playlist on Spotify.

These are in my living room. My house has an open floorplan where the dining room, kitchen, hallway, and entry way are all directly adjoined to the living room without doorways. We're talking at least 800 sq ft that these speakers have to fill, in addition to varying ceiling heights for my vaulted ceilings that range from 8-15ft. The room is the extreme opposite of ideal, but these speakers handle it gracefully.

I personally think they're better than anything I listened to when seeking an off the shelf solution at local HiFi shops. My dad came in for the weekend and we spent 20+ hours listening to them. He has a better trained ear and sold high end audio gear from the late 70s to early 90s, and confirms my appreciation for these. They're a definite win and I'd recommend them to anyone, regardless of budget, with one warning: don't skimp on the sources or the amps!
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79750 is a reply to message #79749] Sun, 23 March 2014 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron
Billy Thorpe's Children of the Sun
Now there's a blast from the past. That is one to play loud.

I have a pair of speakers, close to the Pi4. I already had some drivers, but not what Wayne uses. But I needed to save cost, so I used what I had. The crossover I use is from Wayne. I ordered it built, with upgraded coils and resistors. The amp I use is a 35 watt Dynaco 70 clone. One of my favorite upgrades on the amp is the VTA Octal driver board using Octal input tubes. I use new old stock GE input 6SN7 and new phase splitter 6SN7 tung sol reissues.

I agree with most all the decriptions of the speakers. They sound great. Dynamics and power like no other. Now I am trying figure out what type of subwoofer to use.

t
index.php?t=getfile&id=1445&private=0
  • Attachment: dynaco-09.jpg
    (Size: 160.02KB, Downloaded 6463 times)
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79751 is a reply to message #79750] Sun, 23 March 2014 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
tom-m wrote on Sun, 23 March 2014 19:36
Billy Thorpe's Children of the Sun
Now there's a blast from the past. That is one to play loud.

It's one of the ones where we drove the system up to a higher volume. ~90+dB at minimum, for that song. Probably closer to 100dB (don't want to annoy the neighbors!) You're right: it's meant to play loud. I think it's great for showing off the sound stage of these, because of all the effects that transition rapidly between channels. Those can easily sound rough on lesser systems.

Quote:
I have a pair of speakers, close to the Pi4. I already had some drivers, but not what Wayne uses. But I needed to save cost, so I used what I had. The crossover I use is from Wayne. I ordered it built, with upgraded coils and resistors. The amp I use is a 35 watt Dynaco 70 clone. One of my favorite upgrades on the amp is the VTA Octal driver board using Octal input tubes. I use new old stock GE input 6SN7 and new phase splitter 6SN7 tung sol reissues.

I agree with most all the decriptions of the speakers. They sound great. Dynamics and power like no other. Now I am trying figure out what type of subwoofer to use.

What driver did you use? Your amp sounds neat; I'm going to build a tube kit of some sort in the near future. I don't think you can go wrong with the 3 Pi subs. Get two!
Previous Topic: Home theater with 4PI & 1 Pi
Next Topic: New Here - 7pi and ??? for LCR
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 05:20:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout