Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79383 is a reply to message #78931] Mon, 10 February 2014 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jshupe is currently offline  jshupe
Baron
I still have a lot of cleaning up and finish work to do on the mains, but here they are so far.

Rectangles are hard to get right -- for my next set of cabinets I'll be making a router jig for them.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1415&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1416&private=0
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79384 is a reply to message #79383] Mon, 10 February 2014 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Lookin' good!...

Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79392 is a reply to message #79383] Mon, 10 February 2014 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
jshupe wrote on Mon, 10 February 2014 13:24

Rectangles are hard to get right -- for my next set of cabinets I'll be making a router jig for them.

If you don't rebate the horn the cut out isn't critical but no way to get 'round the appearance of the vent.

Cheap trick is to craft a really square vent box and get it glued on to the baffle before glue-up just right. Then, make the cut with a flush trim router bit. The vent box is your guide.
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79393 is a reply to message #79392] Mon, 10 February 2014 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Bill Epstein wrote on Mon, 10 February 2014 22:28

If you don't rebate the horn the cut out isn't critical but no way to get 'round the appearance of the vent.

I'm not going to recess the horn this time around, but next time I will. I'm thinking about making a jig or even trying to get some CNC time.

Bill Epstein wrote on Mon, 10 February 2014 22:28
Cheap trick is to craft a really square vent box and get it glued on to the baffle before glue-up just right. Then, make the cut with a flush trim router bit. The vent box is your guide.

Thanks for the tip. I tried using the vent box as a guide for the jig saw. I really wish I knew this before doing it -- I would have picked up a flush trim bit for the job. I didn't want to use my spiral upcut bit for fear of taking too many chunks out of the vent itself. I bought a router specifically for this project so I'm not too experienced with it and have a sparse bit selection.
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79422 is a reply to message #78931] Wed, 12 February 2014 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
index.php?t=getfile&id=1417&private=0

Can't wait for the rest of the stuff to come in! Very Happy

Just waiting on the components and a couple cables now.

Note: it looks like the posts under the mains go through the bottom of the cabinets, but they don't. I just happen to have my HTIB speakers sitting inside the cabinets temporarily and they are the same size and color as the posts.
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79430 is a reply to message #79422] Thu, 13 February 2014 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick77 is currently offline  Nick77
Baron
Looking good, although i would want to try them sitting on the shelf. They would be positioned almost perfect for listening. I believe Wayne recommends roughly 15" off ground.
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79431 is a reply to message #79430] Thu, 13 February 2014 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Nick77 wrote on Thu, 13 February 2014 08:09
Looking good, although i would want to try them sitting on the shelf. They would be positioned almost perfect for listening. I believe Wayne recommends roughly 15" off ground.

Thanks. I thought about that in my design -- originally they were supposed to be even higher. I may drop them down some more or eventually put them on the shelf like you said. I'm trying to compromise with my wife on the aesthetics so I can keep these in the living room.

Anyway, here is an updated photo from when I called it a night. I installed the R13 and added a divider that also acts as a support to keep the shelf from bowing under the weight of TV and the mains.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1418&private=0

I'll probably build a 1pi for a center channel and put it right under the TV, and add four more in the future for full 7.2 audio.

Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79479 is a reply to message #79431] Mon, 17 February 2014 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Would a 1pi be too small to work as a center with these? What about surrounds?
Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79481 is a reply to message #79479] Tue, 18 February 2014 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I love using one π or two π speakers as surrounds. That's really what they're best used for, that or a small stereo. But I'm not sure I would want the center to be different than the mains. I would probably go with a phantom center with your layout.

Re: New Pi 4 + Pi 3 Sub buildout [message #79485 is a reply to message #78931] Tue, 18 February 2014 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
These sound amazing. I'll post a full review after a few weeks with them and playing with some different amp configurations.

I'm not really satisfied with my cabs, but that's another story and another time to fix.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1425&private=0

Previous Topic: Home theater with 4PI & 1 Pi
Next Topic: New Here - 7pi and ??? for LCR
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:34:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers