Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Coupling cap rec.
Coupling cap rec. [message #11141] Wed, 29 June 2005 20:48 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Looking for advice on the coupling cap in the SV811-10 I'm building (see link for schematic.) Looking for 2uF @ 400VDC. Anyone got a favorite flavour?......Colin

Re: Coupling cap rec. [message #11142 is a reply to message #11141] Thu, 30 June 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm running Kimber Kaps in the Stoetkit, and I like them very well. Other high end choices include Auricaps, Musicaps and Audio Note.

Re: Coupling cap rec. [message #11143 is a reply to message #11142] Fri, 01 July 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
On the subject of coupling caps, a note on Audio Note (no pun intended). Audio Note paper in oils are made by Jensen Capacitor in Denmark, and are identical to the caps sold under the Jensen name or the paper in oils sold by Angela Instruments under their own name.

I've bought these PIO caps from Angela Instruments many times, and sometimes they'd say Angela, sometimes Audio Note, and sometimes Jensen. Angela's owner, Steve Melkesethian, verified that they are all identical save for the superficial exterior markings. What they sold was whatever stock Jensen had on hand and sent them at the time they ordered them.

So why did I mention this? In the hope that one it'll keep one of my fellow DIY tube nuts from getting burned! Audio Note branded caps sell for about twice the price of Jensen branded caps from most Internet dealers. You pay twice as much for .001 cent of lettering ink!

Thermionic

Re: Coupling cap rec. [message #11144 is a reply to message #11143] Fri, 01 July 2005 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yeah, but do the AN caps SOUND better? IF so, they may be worht paying for?

-akhilesh

Re: Coupling cap rec. [message #11145 is a reply to message #11144] Fri, 01 July 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
"Yeah, but do the AN caps SOUND better? IF so, they may be worth paying for?"

-akhilesh"

Certainly! Unbiased listening tests among a random sampling of conceited, golden-eared audio snobs confirmed that the Audio Note caps beat the Jensens hands down. Independent laboratory testing has also proven that the shape and form of the Audio Note logo printed on the cap is 233% more effective at focusing supernatural interstellar cosmic audio karma into the cap than the Jensen logo.

Thermionic

Re: Coupling cap rec. [message #11146 is a reply to message #11145] Sat, 02 July 2005 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Pweeew! And I thought I might have wasted all that money. I feel much better now.

Re: Coupling cap rec. [message #11147 is a reply to message #11143] Mon, 04 July 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Audio Note capacitors have NOT been made by Jensen for a number of years now. Angela instruments may have some old AN caps from the time when Jensen did make the AN caps, but that has not been the case for at least several years now.

Skepticism is healthy; cynicism is not. Fact checking is always good.

Re: Coupling cap rec. [message #11148 is a reply to message #11147] Mon, 04 July 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
To put a time reference to this, here's a response from Peter Q. back in Jan 2001:

>Posted by Peter Qvortrup, Audio Note UK Ltd. on January 01, 2001 at 03:52:15:
>In Reply to: Re: Cap answer: Audio Note vs Jensen copper foil paper in oil posted by
>mobile homeless on December 07, 2000 at 00:20:47:

>Dear Kelly,
>Sorry only saw your post today during my routine scan.

>I think it is worthwhile to note that the Jensen paper in oil caps were a development
>between myself and Tobias Jensens old designer, we spent two years making caps from
>different materials, various winding techniques and connections, this lead to the caps
>you have, which I believe are copper foils.

>Jensen is an industrial capacitor manufacturer, they never made caps for audio signals
>before they started working with me.

>Just so you know.

>I hope your New Years celebrations passed as well as mine!

>Yours Sincerely,
>Peter Qvortrup

Also, FYI - Steve at Angela Instruments last purchased PIO caps from Audio Note in 1996, so this is really a very out-of-date observation, unless he still has some 9+ year old caps to sell, in which case, the comments would apply to those caps only, not any of the Audio Note caps being sold anywhere else here in the 21st century.

Re: Coupling cap rec. [message #11150 is a reply to message #11141] Tue, 05 July 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billfort is currently offline  billfort
Baron
After switching to DC heaters in my 300B SET I preferred the Jensen/Audio Note/Angela (?) paper-in-oil caps. I found AuriCap and Multicap RTX too dry and Vitamin-Q and Russian oilers too slow and muddy (but with killer mids). The AN's just seemed to be the best compromise in that circuit.

In my AC heater 45 SET I love the Jupiter caps, might be the best of the bunch but I never bothered to swap them out to compare, I just like it the way it is.

Hovland caps? [message #11151 is a reply to message #11150] Tue, 05 July 2005 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Any experience with Hovland? I've heard good things about the Jupiter caps, but they do not come in 2.0uF 400VDC, which is what I need.

Previous Topic: Black Gate is dead...
Next Topic: Welbornes DRD is a very high quality kit
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:48:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout