Home » xyzzy » Tower » UPS letting us down! (Packages getting handed off to Post office)
UPS letting us down! [message #78736] Sat, 21 December 2013 21:39 Go to next message
LuckyLucy is currently offline  LuckyLucy
Baron
I was anxiously waiting for a Christmas package this week. UPS showed it as delivered. But it wasn't on my porch. Turns out, UPS had delivered it to my local post office!! And that was where they said it was supposed to go! UPS has this new "budget" UPS where they let the post office do the final delivery! Has anyone else had this happen?
Re: UPS letting us down! [message #78746 is a reply to message #78736] Sun, 22 December 2013 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, This type of arrangement has been in place for some time now. Fedex does the same. I believe that a reverse arrangement is also ongoing in which high priority parcels in the postal system are being delivered by Fedex.

My experience this year has been overwelmingly good with all the delivery companies. Stuff that usually would take a week is getting here in 2-3 days. Well before the estimated dates.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: UPS letting us down! [message #78760 is a reply to message #78736] Mon, 23 December 2013 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It sounds like a win/win situation for everyone. People get their packages earlier than anticipated, and the USPS gets some extra revenue coming in from their deals with UPS and FED-EX. Money they need pretty bad from what I understand.
Re: UPS letting us down! [message #78762 is a reply to message #78736] Mon, 23 December 2013 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I can see some advantages to doing business that way. I haven't personally experienced it though; UPS still comes to my door whenever I have a package.
Re: UPS letting us down! [message #78765 is a reply to message #78760] Tue, 24 December 2013 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuckyLucy is currently offline  LuckyLucy
Baron
The problem, Kingfish, is that people are NOT getting their packages earlier, in fact, they are arriving late.

I don't really have a problem with the USPS, and often ship things with them. They usually cost less,

I have a problem with being charged the rate for UPS, and then not getting the package delivered on time, because UPS is considering it "delivered" when it passes it off to the post office, and the post office may take two more days to actually deliver it.
Re: UPS letting us down! [message #78773 is a reply to message #78736] Wed, 25 December 2013 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
I can see your frustration. I also heard that UPS was late delivering quite a few packages this Christmas and people are pretty upset with the delays.
Re: UPS letting us down! [message #78860 is a reply to message #78773] Thu, 02 January 2014 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
I frequently order stuff online, and have for many years with very few delivery problems until FedEx and UPS started their practice of handing off to USPS for final delivery. Actually, the problem arose because for some reason, USPS has ceased their dedicated residential parcel delivery service here. Yep, they stopped right at the moment when they should've stepped it up instead. And that's where the adventure begins.

Where I live we have community mailboxes with only two package lockers. So, if you're not one of the two lucky individuals that day, or if your package won't fit in the locker, instead of your package you get a note telling you to pick it up at the post office.

Now, I work long hours and generally don't get to leave work until long after the post office closes. That is, except on Fridays when I usually get off work 30 minutes before they close. But, the one that handles my address is miles away on the far side of town, even though I live less than a mile from another post office (!?), which by the way also happens to be only 1 1/2 blocks from my workplace... Mad To add insult to injury, all of our post offices are closed on Saturday. And, my workplace frowns on all but very infrequent personal package deliveries, which rules out having it sent there.

After fighting with this mess many times over the course of about two months, my wife finally remembered to tell me that it was perfectly OK to have my stuff shipped to her workplace, which gets daily parcel service from UPS, FedEx and USPS. Rolling Eyes Problem solved.

Thermionic

Re: UPS letting us down! [message #79174 is a reply to message #78736] Thu, 30 January 2014 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smitty is currently offline  Smitty
Baron
As someone with experience working in the industry, let me just say that millions, yes millions, of packages pass through the UPS system daily. A local hub may process as many as 20,000 packages during non-peak season. During the holidays, this number can rise as high as 40,000+ packages daily from 1 local hub. A lot of those packages are driver release, but plenty need to be signed for. If the people aren't there to receive their packages, there isn't much that UPS can do about it.

Surepost, which is what it is called when the USPS delivers UPS packages has been around for quite awhile. You aren't paying UPS prices to have it delivered by the USPS. You are paying for Surepost a combined delivery system.
Re: UPS letting us down! [message #79182 is a reply to message #79174] Thu, 30 January 2014 21:43 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, You remarks are quite true but miss the point that was at least to me key in this tread. I doubt that anyone would say that handling huge number of packages in a day is easy, what the problem is not providing the level of service that is desired. I really don't care if there is a 100% increase of deliveries on a given day, only that mine didn't arrive. I suspect that the companies know pretty much when they can expect higher workloads (if they don't then they should get out of the business) and correspondingly they need to have a plan to ramp up capabilities. I see another issue that relates to the situation. I will provide an example (actually 2). I ordered some components from California (about 600 miles away). Using the shipping company's own tracking service the parts made it from California to Phoenix in about 24 hours. That is really good and worthy of praise. Then the parts sat in Phoenix for 3 business days and 2 weekend days before being sent here for local delivery (a distance of 175 miles). It still took another business day to get the parts. If you can find someone to believe this is a good thing ....I'll be glad to sell you the Grand Canyon at a really good discount. BTW the shipments were not at Christmas or any other "peak" time. I'm sorry if I offended any diligent and concerned employees but what I have experienced with ever increasing frequency is mediocre service by delivery companies. Having run a logistics company in the past and now a small business that relies heavily on deliveries I find the trend appalling. Just my 2 cents, I'm hope your results are better.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Target security breach
Next Topic: Best place to buy internet cable?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:22:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio