Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Another School Shooting
Another School Shooting [message #78659] Sat, 14 December 2013 10:33 Go to next message
PageantDirector is currently offline  PageantDirector
Chancellor
On the eve of the one year anniversary of the Sandy Hook school shooting there was yet another school shooting. This one was just a few miles away from Columbine. What do you think causes these terrible tragedies? What can make a person decide to kill another, much less shoot up a school full of children?

I don't think it has anything to do with violence on television or video games. I do think that these kids are troubled and somehow it is getting missed by those who are supposed to be helping them. How can we (as parents and teachers) help our kids so that these kinds of things don't happen?
Re: Another School Shooting [message #78672 is a reply to message #78659] Mon, 16 December 2013 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
You may not like my answer, but try to curb, or all out stop, the viewing of violence. Whatever it is that a person watches or does, if they do it constantly then they become desensitized to it. It starts to lose meaning.

If all I did was watch love stories and listen to love songs for years on end, I would stop being a romantic and start treating love in a blase' manner because it would lose it's luster from over-viewing. The same with violence. I don't think the kids who do this really see it as something that is wrong. They don't really see it as anything at all anymore because they grew up with it on T.V. and video games.

Just my opinion of course.
Re: Another School Shooting [message #78686 is a reply to message #78672] Tue, 17 December 2013 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PageantDirector is currently offline  PageantDirector
Chancellor
I'm not sure if that is entirely accurate. I know that violence is more graphic now but if you think back to watching Saturday morning cartoons how often did Wile E. Coyote try to kill the road runner? How often did Elmer Fudd try to kill Bugs Bunny? What was Tom's goal when he was chasing Jerry? Violence on television isn't something that is new to society. It has been around almost since the beginning of television.

I think perhaps a better way to approach it, if you have that view point, is to minimize the GRAPHIC violence that our children see. At the same time though, shouldn't parents be emphasizing to children that these kinds of behaviors are not appropriate?
Re: Another School Shooting [message #78690 is a reply to message #78686] Wed, 18 December 2013 10:54 Go to previous message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
PageantDirector wrote on Tue, 17 December 2013 23:16
I'm not sure if that is entirely accurate. I know that violence is more graphic now but if you think back to watching Saturday morning cartoons how often did Wile E. Coyote try to kill the road runner? How often did Elmer Fudd try to kill Bugs Bunny? What was Tom's goal when he was chasing Jerry? Violence on television isn't something that is new to society. It has been around almost since the beginning of television.

I think perhaps a better way to approach it, if you have that view point, is to minimize the GRAPHIC violence that our children see. At the same time though, shouldn't parents be emphasizing to children that these kinds of behaviors are not appropriate?

This is why, in my opinion, kids weren't nearly as violent back in the day. The Road Runner for example wasn't graphic, he was never actually killed and the kind of animation back then left no doubt that it was a cartoon. Now, "cartoons" are much more realistic looking, weapons are being used and the images can be very graphic. It's all much more realistic, blurring the lines between fantasy and reality.
Previous Topic: Spring Storms In November
Next Topic: Should we mention Phil?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:52:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout