Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » 45 SE
Re: 45 SE [message #11107 is a reply to message #11105] Thu, 09 June 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
Interesting. I'm using a Yamamoto A08 from Venus HiFi currently, and the bass is fast, tuneful and powerful - not just for a 1.5w amp, but period! It causes a fair bit of headscratching, but there it is just the same!

Re: 45 SE [message #11108 is a reply to message #11107] Thu, 09 June 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Cool. Mine sounds muddy in the bass, so I use it in a triamped system above 90 HZ, where it does fantastic!
-akhilesh

Re: 45 SE [message #11114 is a reply to message #11107] Fri, 10 June 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I heard the Yamamoto at Spkrman57's house a couple of weeks ago. We were listening through some high eff. JBLs LF drivers and Altec/Edgar/JBL horns with various drivers. The sound, especially bass, was a fast as I've ever heard. Also, for a 1.5-2 wpc amp, this thing has got some balls.....Colin

Re: 45 SE [message #11124 is a reply to message #11105] Fri, 17 June 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
I have the tube rectified Welborne 45 and 300b DRD amps. I have a much different experience with 45 tubes. The bass is really fast on my 45 mono blocks. I used them for months to drive my 2-way speakers. The bass bins are jbl twin 15" wofers and 100 dB efficient. The bass is not muddy. These little 1.8 wpc mono blocks sounded great. They are driving my HF horns in my biamplified horn speaker set up. John C.

Re: 45 SE [message #11126 is a reply to message #11124] Sat, 18 June 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sounds good!
COuple of questions that will help us get more from you experiences:
1. What is driving the LF part of your horn setup?
2. Do you think the 45 will provide the same bass as a solid state for a cone speaker?
thanks
-akhilesh

Re: 45 SE [message #11127 is a reply to message #11126] Sun, 19 June 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
1)Right now I am switching between 300b SET and pp el34 for my bass bins. Both do things that sound good to my ears. The pp are klimo kent and these are the best of the el34 amps that I have owned. The CJ Premier 4, 90 pound monster had incredible midrange. The klimo are better sounding. The 300b is 8 wpc and it is more than enough to drive my bass bins.

2) Dunno. To do this right you really need very efficient bass bins. My JBL twin 15" bass bins are rated at 100 dB efficent. So my teeny 1.8 wpc 45 tube pair of mono blocks can get plenty loud for my ears. I think it is more about the efficiency of the speaker and the quality of the tube amplifier, and its power supply for bass. My bass bins on paper state they can get down to 35 Hz. Prolly more like 40 Hz is realistic as I do not always believe what I read. I do believe what I hear with my own ears. I have used many tube amps from a 100 wpc CJ using 8 el34 tubes to my 1.8 wpc 45 amps. A lot of folks are quite happy with solid state to drive their bass bins. I say to all go with what sounds the best to your own ears. There is no absolute right answer in home audio. We all chase the sound of live music and we all fall well short. The closest I have come is my 31" x 31" horns and my bass bins. John

Re: 45 SE [message #11128 is a reply to message #11127] Sun, 19 June 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I agree John! Your bins sound interesting! Can you tell us more about them, andif yuo have a link to them?
thanks
-akhilesh

Re: 45 SE [message #11129 is a reply to message #11128] Sun, 19 June 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hello Akhilesh. I have posted a link to similar speakers. I have he 2360A 31" x 31" biradial jbl horns. I am using tad td-4001 2" compression drivers in them. This is my "cobbled" together 2-way sspeaker set up I got for my Dad to replace the JBL L300 Summit speakers he had. I am using the L300 with a few different tube amps now in my apartment. The tad drivers I bought used and also the 2360A horns. The horns do not honk. I attribute this to their good design and the sweet sounding tad pro audio drivers. I bought my 4648A-8 jbl bass bins from the jbl tent sale a few years ago for the princely sum of $222 each bin delivered to my door by jbl. These bins are/were a great deal. On one of the other forums a guy was reporting he was having fun knocking things off shelves and shaking his whole house with them with a lot of serious wattage. These bass bins are quite decent sounding. They have a near zero WAF to be sure. When I play a vinyl album with a lot of percussion like "Rise" by Herb Albert you can feel the bass hitting you in the chest. I honesly have driven these 2-way speakers with single amps like my 45 mono blocks to loud SPL's. When I biamplify them with my marchand xm-126 vacuum tube active speaker crossover they sounded even better to my ears. I find myself switching back and forth between the SET 300b and push pull el34 mono block amps for the bass bins. Both tube amps sound good, and each adds a different flavor to the sound. I have also used a 100 wpc CJ tube amp. I sold that amp to a doctor because it was WAY overkill for the speakers power requirements. Plus the fact that my elderly Dad is profoundly hard of hearing. With this 2-way set up he heard female voices in his music for the forst time since he lost most of his hearing in WW2. But I was afraid he would turn off and turn on the stereo with the volume cranking with the CJ amplifier. Rebuilding the tad td-4001 drivers if he blew them up was like $800 each. Like I said in my view there is no absolute right or wrong way to power speakers between tube and solid stagte. Many enjoy SS to power their bass bins. They decide what sounds the best in their own set ups. To my ears I simply choose to use vacuum tubes for my biamplified speakers. I am wrong a whole lot but I believe that people who say the bass is not good with flea powered tube amps simply mated their speakers and their amps "wrong." Meaning the speakers might not have been efficient enough. A stout power supply is very important if using tube amps with bass bins. I turn off my Welborne 300b amp and it continues playing for around 5 seconds. One of the small 11 wpc pp 6V6 amps I have in my apartment stops instantly when I turn it off. I am now using my Welborne 45 tube rectified DRD mono blocks for the HF horns. The linked jbl speaker set up looks exactly like my current set up for my Dad. John C.

Re: 45 SE [message #11130 is a reply to message #11129] Sun, 19 June 2005 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sounds like a sweet set-up, John!
Thanks for sharing with us. I have often considered JBL cinema systems, andwondered if htey sounded good. Your insights are helpful!
I have a pair of 1978 original (meaning totally stock) Klipschorns. I like the way tey sound too.
Right now my common listening setup is a triamoe setup, with a HSu sub driving the bass from 25 Hz to about 90 HZ.
It sounds fine for my room, and provides a good foundation.
-akhilesh

Re: 45 SE [message #11131 is a reply to message #11130] Sun, 19 June 2005 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Hi Akhilesh, I was looking at one time to trade my JBL L300 Summit speakers for a pair of much older Klipschorns. I heard these once. Many diss the mighty Klipschorn, but not me. They make some good sounding music, period. No speaker is ever perfect. I think the crossovers are the weakest link on these. Your triamplifying yours must make a big difference. Paul Klipsch made some outstanding speaker designs. When was the Klipschorn designed back in the late 1940's, or early 1950's? He is spinning in his grave at some of the consumer grade crappy speakers Klipsch is now selling after his recent death. I am speaking of the Best Buy grade of Klipsch. They recently eliminated one of my favorite's in the Cornwall. No doubt it was done by the bean counters sadly. I bet if you beefed up the power supply in your 45 amp the bass just might come alive for you. As for my speakers the jbl cinema series are sleepers. Not too many are using them for home audio. This is too bad because they are a great sounding pair of speakers. They are a real bargain when compared side by side with boutique audio speakers. John C.

Previous Topic: Hmmm,,,,,45 or 300B.......45 or 300B......45 or 300B........
Next Topic: Audio Note Kit One cheesecake foto:
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 10:27:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout