Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 8 Pi woofer alternatives
8 Pi woofer alternatives [message #78597] Mon, 09 December 2013 21:37 Go to next message
owen kellog
Esquire
Hello Wayne,
Before I order a pair of 8 Pi kits, I have to ask as whether the Deltalite 10 is an option as an upgraded mid-woofer over the Alpha 10? I know that Pi is not currently offering an alternate woofer from the menu options for the kit, but I have noted that you have mentioned (in other posts) the Deltalite as a superior driver in some important respects. I'd be happy to build the speakers with the Alpha's, but Wayne, would you offer the Deltalite and accompanying crossover changes as an alternative? More importantly, do you consider it worthwhile or suitable to go down this road?

I know that the electromechanical properties of the Alpha work in this application: does the Deltalite fall short in the bass when used like this?

Finally, here's a driver that in many ways, looks like an Italian version of the Alpha 10.

Many thanks!

Re: 8 Pi woofer alternatives [message #78598 is a reply to message #78597] Tue, 10 December 2013 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry, there is no suitable (tested) replacement for the Alpha 10 in this design. And to be honest, this application is even more tricky to spec than others, owing to the fact that it is a reflex loaded horn. There are always things that you must test when considering a substitute driver, but most can be corrected in the crossover, provided the electro-mechanical specs are right. But horns like this are another matter, having even more criteria to simultaneously resolve.

Re: 8 Pi woofer alternatives [message #78599 is a reply to message #78598] Tue, 10 December 2013 09:41 Go to previous message
owen kellog
Esquire
Thanks, Wayne, and that being the case, Alpha 10s will do just fine. I'll order-up kits later today. I'm planning to build a pair from solid hardwood, species to be determined basis whatever our hardwoods guy has in stock and appeals when it comes time to buy materials. I may also do contrasting light and dark species, for that vintage, craftsman look. Pictures will follow in due course.
Previous Topic: One Pi Plans
Next Topic: 2pi upgrades?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:03:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout