Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Still bewildered by it all!
Re: audioXpress article [message #11064 is a reply to message #11059] Mon, 28 March 2005 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You can do it with KT66 or almost any power valve for that matter. I have built PP amps like this with 1619, HY69, HY1269, KT90, KT88, 6550, EL34, 6L6GA, 350B...

It is a neat circuit for PP as well as SE. I took it up as PP and Pete took it up as SE. I named the circuit.
regards,
Douglas

Re: Still bewildered by it all! [message #11065 is a reply to message #11062] Tue, 29 March 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Howard, unfortunately, I've been too cheap to systematically test the sound of various resistors and capacitors to give a meaningful report. I typically breadboard with surplus store parts (ie $0.02 resistors, $0.15 caps) to make sure everything works, there are no hums, and I like what I hear. I then build with the "cheap" boutique parts such as Holco resistors, Riken for grid stoppers, Mills for power resistors, JJ for power caps, Solens for non-coupling caps, and Auricaps for coupling caps. I find all these components give a large improvement over the surplus store parts. These parts are also the cheapest of boutique components. The next level represents a big price jump. I'm certain many of the higher grade brands could improve the sound even more, but I'm not convinced the improvement would be worth the additional costs for me.

gar.

and there's still cheaper... [message #11071 is a reply to message #11065] Tue, 19 April 2005 19:31 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I have seen Auricap pricing, and have listened to several alternatives which are a distinct step up the ladder of my preferences. Keep in mind such choices are both personal and system dependant, and what works for my ears, may not work for yours.
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Electronluv
Next Topic: Heyboer OPT iron vs Hammond?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:01:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio