Home » Audio » Speaker » Bullet Tweeters (Bullet tweeters and inductor crossover)
Bullet Tweeters [message #78480] Thu, 28 November 2013 20:50 Go to next message
Killjoy is currently offline  Killjoy
Esquire
I came across this while looking at pyramid bullet tweeters (tw47) on Amazon.com.

"I matched this driver to a 97 db midrange driver without using an l-pad. The way to do this is to cross the midrange driver out with a coil, then, you hang this driver across the coil. Any power that goes through it must also go through the midrange, so its power draw is limited. Then, power that has to go through both drivers is severely restricted, so it doesn't threaten to overpower the mid-range. Using this strategy could save you meaningful trouble and money. However, your midrange needs to be around 96 to 98 decibel efficiency to make this balance out."

The bullet tweeter goes from 2k-25k and is 106 db.

Does this actually work? What are the pros and cons?

Love horns
Re: Bullet Tweeters [message #78487 is a reply to message #78480] Fri, 29 November 2013 10:23 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think that guy was trying to describe a series crossover. I've never been a fan of those, because they're very sensitive to driver parameter shift. And since the parameters shift a lot - which is normal and should be expected - I do not think this kind of crossover is good design practice. Beyond that, 10dB level matching requires resistors or transformers. So it's probably best to do using a more conventional circuit.

Previous Topic: Black Friday Deals?
Next Topic: Pyramid Bullet Tweeter TW47
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:06:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout