Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Three Pi sub
Three Pi sub [message #78457] Tue, 26 November 2013 22:43 Go to next message
HPower is currently offline  HPower
Chancellor
Hey Wayne

I am still gathering parts for my 4pi build and after reading more on your philosophy on helper subs I am thinking I may end up going that route in the end.

What is the efficiency and impedance of the 3Pi sub?
I am asking to figure out if a Crown XLS 1000 might be a great way to power the pair vs. a typical plate amp set up on each sub box?
http://www.parts-express.com/crown-xls-1000-drivecore-series-power-amplifier--245-500

With 215W @ 8 ohms stereo (per channel), I was hoping this amp could run both subs in stereo and utilize the Crossover System to integrate with the 4Pi mains.
Or should I be looking up the line at a higher powered model or perhaps 2 XLS1000 in a bridged mode?
Any thoughts on using this type of pro amp for this application?
Those 4Pi mains will be powered by either my 5wpc EL84 tube amp or on occasion my 60wpc vintage SS Harman Kardon.

PS: would you mind forwarding me the plans for the 3Pi sub?

Thx,
Tom

The 3 most feared words in racing... "Powered by Honda"
Re: Three Pi sub [message #78458 is a reply to message #78457] Wed, 27 November 2013 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

About the Crown amps, they'll be fine. I personally like Crown amps, and still run a Microtech 2400 for tests. Makes a great amp for small events too.

One thing though - the preamp input level is a little high, 'cause it's for prosound. So make sure your preamp can drive it.

As for the subwoofer specs, see the link below:
Re: Three Pi sub [message #78461 is a reply to message #78458] Wed, 27 November 2013 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HPower is currently offline  HPower
Chancellor
Wayne,

Thanks very much for the 3Pi sub plans!

For 2 channel I am running a Transcendent Sound Ground Grid for a preamp.

http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Transcendent_Sound_Grounded_Grid_Preamp.html

If I am reading the specs of the GG correctly, it says that it has a max output of 20volts, so that should be enough to drive a Crown XLS1000?
At only $250-$300, the XLS1000 sure seems like a bargain when you look at the power and versatility it offers.

Looking at your 3Pi sub data, it seems the XLS1000 should have enough jam to run a couple of 3Pi subs (215W @ 8 ohms stereo / 350W @ 4 ohms)?

For movies I use an older Denon AVR, I am not sure what the output voltage of this unit is.
I will have to try and find the manual to see what it outputs.

Hey guys,
Any others out there using pro amps (Crown XLSs in particular) with their Pi speakers?

The 3 most feared words in racing... "Powered by Honda"
Re: Three Pi sub [message #78463 is a reply to message #78461] Wed, 27 November 2013 08:52 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, it looks like those components will work together.

Previous Topic: interested in 12pi bass horn
Next Topic: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:00:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio