Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » SE for beginners
SE for beginners [message #11029] Wed, 02 March 2005 05:25 Go to next message
Howard is currently offline  Howard
Baron

Dear SET forum,

I own a pair of Coral BL-25D horns. So far they have sounded at their best using some Quad Twos. I would really like to have a go at building my own single ended amp. I am looking for something which is "well sorted" and sensibly priced but not so simple that I am constantly checking shifting bias voltages.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Howard
(sunshine coast....queensland)

I love your web site [message #11030 is a reply to message #11029] Wed, 02 March 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks for the link to your page. I really enjoyed looking at the old Yamaha gear. My first real system was a Yamaha R-700 receiver and Infinity RS-7s. I could not afford the Yamaha speakers at the time and have always wanted and older pair. Thanks for sharing and bringing back some fond memories.

Although not SET, you might want to check out the "Group Build" forum anyway. We are just finishing our first project: a 5687-based preamp. Our next build will be a PP of some sort; the details have not been completely worked out. I have built several Bottlehead kits and have been very satisified with both the performance and level of suppoet. However, building one from scratch has no equal. No more tab "A" into slot "B." This has been rewarding beyond my expectations.

As far as an SET, I believe Wayne is very fond of his Stoetkit (see "FS Audio Forum" for buildup process.) Wayne did a super job of documenting the build. Also, have you looked at the SEX kit from Bottlehead.com? It has the advantage of driving either 'phones or highly efficinet speakers.

Thanks again for the site.....Colin

Small correction [message #11031 is a reply to message #11030] Wed, 02 March 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I agree Colin..i have a yamaha ca-2020 amp, and i love it! It even has a "real class A" mode with 15 amps of class A power (though darned if i can hear the difference....does serve as a good heating device though if the room gets cold: the class A operation I mean)

BTW: the stoetkit is a pushpull, not a SET.
-akhilesh

for beginners [message #11032 is a reply to message #11029] Wed, 02 March 2005 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thrint is currently offline  Thrint
Baron
Hey-Hey!!!,
How much of the design are you capable of doing? Would a schematic and build list be acceptable? Are you comfortable making a chassis and laying out with help?

I have an idea for a simple one. SE KT88 for ~10 watts. Quite simplistic, but not in my nature to actually build, being a PP man( who's in the market for some Maggies ).

This could be one for Group Build. It can be done SE or PP with addition of a few parts. Its PP version is SWEEEEEET, and the SE ought to be similar.
regards,
Douglas

Re: for beginners [message #11033 is a reply to message #11032] Wed, 02 March 2005 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Dear Douglas,

Thanks for your response. I have built some solid state amps. I would be a bit nervous about all that high voltage. (Although 240V is enough to do serious damage if you have sweaty hands)

Getting power supply bits may be a problem locally. If you could advise on a source it all sounds fine to me.

With my speakers I would probably go with the SE variant

Thanks again

Howard

Re: I love your web site [message #11034 is a reply to message #11030] Wed, 02 March 2005 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Dear Colin,

Thanks for responding and your comments. Its always good to meet people with similar interests.

Australia is home to some very passionate audiophiles, but we are a bit thin on the ground. (Most aussies prefer a board and the beach)Its great to hear about what is available in other parts of the world. (also to soak up all the enthusiasm)

I will have to look up this SEX kit. It just has to be good. Is this still SE?

Many Thanks

Howard

SET [message #11035 is a reply to message #11033] Wed, 02 March 2005 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
You should really check out bottlehead.com for some great DIY amps. The SEX kit I mentioned is based on a 6DN7. They also sell 2A3s and 300B kits. Again, good guys to deal with.

Your site is just full of surprises. I love the carbon fiber cables. I'm going to read up on those more and have some questions for you......Colin

Re: for beginners [message #11036 is a reply to message #11032] Wed, 02 March 2005 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say T; You never said you had Maggies; no wonder you talk about the 100watt amps; that explains it. Also KT 88's are nice, whats cookin'?

Re: for beginners [message #11037 is a reply to message #11032] Thu, 03 March 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think that's cool, Douglas. I'm diggin' it. An SE KT88 might be just the ticket.

Re: for beginners [message #11038 is a reply to message #11037] Thu, 03 March 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Dear Wayne,

You guys are making me very curious.

Where have you buried the plan?

Please tell me more

Howard

Previous Topic: What a difference a capacitor change can make!
Next Topic: It's finally being printed!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 19:56:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout