Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Pull pin...
Re: Also [message #11009 is a reply to message #11006] Wed, 23 February 2005 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
I don't know what SETs you own, but either they aren't very good, or they aren't partnered with suitable speakers. I don't know how else you would describe SET as "tailoring the sound" and declaring "hi-fi they are not."

This is very much like saying "some of my best friends are XXXX." Insulting at best.

Re: Also [message #11010 is a reply to message #11009] Thu, 24 February 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI DR,
I apologize if you felt insulted.
I am intersted in your system..could you tell me more about it?
thanx
-akhilesh

Here is a good link by a SET amp builder, scroll to the bottom [message #11011 is a reply to message #10958] Thu, 24 February 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk/tubestuf/miniblk3.htm

enjoy
-akhilesh

Re: Also [message #11012 is a reply to message #11010] Thu, 24 February 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Actually, I think the problem began with the question: "how would you *quantify* . . ."

Given the exteme difficulty, bordering on futility, of trying to correlate what we hear with what we know how to measure so far, perhaps it would be more fruitful to ask how we would *characterize* the differences, looking at it qualitatively, which is how we appreciate reproduced music in the first place.

As to my system, not surprisingly, since I'm the US distributor for Audio Note, it's all AN. What might be surprising is that I got involved with AN professionally because of the huge effect that purchasing a few used AN pieces had on my system and listening experience.

Anyway, I listen to a Voyd 'table (predecessor to the TT Three), AN 1S arm and usually an IO moving coil cartridge through an AN transformer into an M3 pre-amp. Amps are Quest Silver mono 300B's driving E/SE Silver speakers. Cabling is all AN silver of various levels. On the digital side, I'm waiting for the first of the new CDT2/II transports, which will be paired with a DAC3.1x Balanced.

I'll be building an AN Preamp Kit shortly, (hopefully in time for the Spring New England Valve Fest), and will be building a one-off 2A3 amp using AN parts which will have a dual choked power supply and interstage transformers. 1/2 a 6SN7 per channel input - a stage less than usual to reduce noise as my next speakers will be AN Lexus Signatures - 98dB/w/m efficient w/outboard due to cap size) crossovers.

con permisso [message #11013 is a reply to message #11012] Fri, 25 February 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I will refer to that line "Given the exteme difficulty, bordering on futility, of trying to correlate what we hear with what we know how to measure so far, perhaps it would be more fruitful to ask how we would *characterize* the differences, looking at it qualitatively, which is how we appreciate reproduced music in the first place.
", in the future.

It continues to amaze me how well the description of amp charactaristics can be described and shared with a keyboard. Since 'they' don't know what makes an amp sound good, I think we need to step up and become 'them' *AND* find a reasonable answer.

This referal to this mystical 'They' who don't want to make efficient cars, or durable ones, or self maintainable ones...being one of 'Them' is OK so long as I do a better job.
regards,
Dogulas

Re: Also [message #11014 is a reply to message #11012] Fri, 25 February 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Sounds like a great system! Wish we in Tulsa could hear it sometime!
-akhilesh

Re: Also [message #11015 is a reply to message #11012] Fri, 25 February 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Did you happen to see that transformer-coupled SET amplifier in the latest AudioXpress? Kinda cool, three parts only. Coupling transformer, triode and output transformer. Add B+, chill and serve.

Re: Also [message #11016 is a reply to message #11014] Fri, 25 February 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks!

You've got closely related pieces in the area. Mark M. has E/L's and I think has acquired a pair of Conquests which will demo triode magic in contrast to the merely very good tube amp that his Kit 2 amp is. Not sure what he uses for a pre-amp.

I might have to coordinate sending a transport and pre to one of your meets . . . .

Re: con permisso [message #11017 is a reply to message #11013] Fri, 25 February 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm a slide rule and scope kinda guy, and I've always found it difficult to describe what I hear with non-technical adjectives. I mean, I can put the words together and sometimes I even think I've done a good job. But I can never be sure that my description paints the proper mental image, nor can I know if what someone else is saying is giving me the right impression. So I've begun to strive to just listen, and encourage others to do the same.

I know it isn't always easy to audition some of the things we discuss here, but really, I'm not sure that there is any alternative. That's why I suggest that folks just take the plunge and give things a try. The best way to know how something well something does is to experience it for yourself. I love having the sound take people's breath away, and watching a silence come over a conversation-filled room when the music starts to play.

Re: Also [message #11018 is a reply to message #11016] Fri, 25 February 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Mark's Kit 4 sure sounds nice. He has an assortment of tubes, and I believe I heard what he thought were the best set. I'm anxious to hear the Conquest too; We'll hear it either this meeting or next.

There is quite a buzz on many different levels right now. Lots of people are talking about coming and bringing their equipment, some that are manufacturers or dealers representing a particular product. We may have to roll this into a spring or summer event. It's getting really cool...

Previous Topic: Budget Amp
Next Topic: Tweaker "universal" mono amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 00:37:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout