Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Pull pin...
Thoriated W [message #10985 is a reply to message #10984] Tue, 15 February 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-Hey!!!,
There is another who likes the Thoriated Tungsten filaments. Josh of ElectronLuv. I linked his site, I only had a single chance to hear one of his linestages, done with a DHTriode. It had some smoke leak out and did not function.

I have a slightly different idea about loading and output stages, and believe it will be better. It will not look like a chopped, early 50's lead sled...
regards,
Douglas

Re: Pull pin... [message #10986 is a reply to message #10968] Tue, 15 February 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI John,
I agree: there are two issues here. The first is that any well executed imlpementation will beat any poorly implemeneted one, almost by definition. THe second issue is that different designs have INHERENT weakenesses (tradeoffs) that need to be addressed in the implementation.
For example, in general, SETs have higher distortion INHERENTLY, and push-pulls eliminate even order distortion, by their design.

To cut to the chase, it makes total sense to talk about and understand he limitations of each design. There is no need to keep falling back ion the poor versus good implementation argument, since that is a given.

So I think we are all on the same page.
-akhilesh

Re: Thoriated W [message #10987 is a reply to message #10985] Tue, 15 February 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Early 50's lead sled. Boy; I thought I heard them all. Thats a new one.
How about a '49 Merc?

Re: Thoriated W [message #10988 is a reply to message #10987] Tue, 15 February 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
49 Merc? too common. How about a Chrysler Imperial Hampton Coupe? New Yorker St.Regis?

Cram in the '57 or '58 dual-quad, solid-cammed 392 Hemi.

Josh's amps are certainly different from what you'd find at BestBye...

regards,
Douglas

"Budget" SET [message #10989 is a reply to message #10974] Tue, 15 February 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Well, I`ll try (in GrupBuild forum) 2A3/6B4G SET amp project, it won`t be very soon, lot of experimentations are in order:-).
I`ll try several versions of PS, from really "budget" to say, LCLC with various rectifiers, but nothing complicated like regulated PS or so. Driver would be probably one-tube, CCS, maybe even choke load, I`d try various tubes, again - nothing complicated. OPT - I think that $125 LL1664 is the "top".
I`m really interested in finding simple, but good quality/good sounding SE amp... Then, 300B is in order:-). Stay tuned:-).

Re: "Budget" SET [message #10990 is a reply to message #10989] Tue, 15 February 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think a 300B will be nice. Less power is available from 2A3's, but they have that cool blue glow. I think probably the main thing is to use good iron, and not cut corners there.

Re: Thoriated W [message #10991 is a reply to message #10988] Tue, 15 February 2005 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I had crammed a 392 hemi chrysler into a 69 chevy II. We got a deal on the motor from the junkie. Odd pairing but it ran pretty good until we came across a wreck with a 396 with the 375 hp factory stock set-up. That went in and the hemi was sold. Long time ago.
The New Yorker; my friend had one only because it had the biggest back seat.

"Budget" SET=Milatary Intelligence [message #10992 is a reply to message #10990] Tue, 15 February 2005 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
existing only on paper...

SET is not like PP in a few ways. One is the means of dealing with the idle current. The 45, 2A3 and 300B can all run on a plate load of 4k. Idle current differs by a factor of two.

Minimum primary L requirement at power is still the same, yet one will have to deal with twice the DC. With PP, if the a-a load is right, and you don't overheat things with too much idle DC, you'll be fine if you can keep the two halves balanced.

regards,
Douglas

Re: Pull pin... [message #10993 is a reply to message #10986] Tue, 15 February 2005 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I think both of your opening statements are mutually conclusive. By definition the trade-offs are addressed; why would anyone design an amp to not address them? The problem is I believe there is more to the story concerning distortion and perception. Read Hiraga's test results in last summers AudioeXpress. He does extensive abx testing isolating odd and even distortion levels in different amplifiers extending upwards of multiple distortion factors. As usual there is more to the story than one would expect from the usual 2nd and 3rd order explanations.

Re: "Budget" SET=Military Intelligence [message #10994 is a reply to message #10992] Tue, 15 February 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I tend to agree. I mean, the little low-budget SET kits are fun, and they have a certain appeal. It's not that they sound bad, and I don't mean to say that they do. But it's kind of like having a crystal radio kit. You can do stuff with it, but it always leaves you wanting more.

Previous Topic: Budget Amp
Next Topic: Tweaker "universal" mono amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:29:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout