Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » pi4 / pi12
pi4 / pi12 [message #78302] Wed, 06 November 2013 14:36 Go to next message
kongarne is currently offline  kongarne
Chancellor
Hi

I was wondering if i was possible to make the volume bigger on the pi4 cabinets (Around 160L)
Making it go a litle deeper, or will it ruin the sound over 150hz?

I have been looking at the 12pi subwoofer, and I really like it, very impressive! I have Been making some lascala cabinets but this looks very advanced , is it possible to get the plans for the subwoofer ?

I guess the best solution is to keep pi4 original and make a subwoofer?

Best regards
Arne Olav
Re: pi4 / pi12 [message #78303 is a reply to message #78302] Wed, 06 November 2013 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you're going to use subs (as recommended) then there is no point in increasing the volume of the mains.

The problem with changing the dimensions is you have to check internal standing wave nodes, to make sure you don't introduce an anomaly in the lower midrange. Large cabinets have standing waves in the lower midrange, and those frequencies are not adequately attenuated by lining the walls with absorbent material. Large subwoofers don't have this problem because no midrange frequencies are presented to them. But full-range speakers with large cabinets take special care.

You can model the cabinet mathematically to find where the pressure nodes fall, and take care to ensure the midwoofer and port are not placed on one. And acoustic measurements should always be taken of the finished product to ensure the response is ripple-free. But if you are not prepared to do these things, I would suggest sticking with the plans, because they are already vetted. The four π loudspeaker is a mature design, having been in continuous production for over twenty years.

Re: pi4 / pi12 [message #78306 is a reply to message #78302] Thu, 07 November 2013 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kongarne is currently offline  kongarne
Chancellor
Thank you for quick reply!

This is over my knowledge , so sorry for questions that are ......
If I just make the speaker round and keep the volume and other parameters, is it less chance for ruin the construction sound vice ? (I guess we will not know before it is made and measured)

Made a simple sketch

index.php?t=getfile&id=1335&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1336&private=0

• Attachment: p4r.jpg
    (Size: 33.97KB, Downloaded 2047 times)
  • Attachment: p2r2.jpg
    (Size: 37.27KB, Downloaded 2122 times)
Re: pi4 / pi12 [message #78307 is a reply to message #78306] Thu, 07 November 2013 03:04 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a neat looking cabinet, but you will still need to analyze standing wave modes, and then verify with measurements afterward.

Previous Topic: Need an easy to use designer better than WinISD
Next Topic: corner horns and short walls
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:34:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout