Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Bamboo Plywood?
Bamboo Plywood? [message #78290] Tue, 05 November 2013 09:15 Go to next message
HPower is currently offline  HPower
Chancellor
Hey Wayne,

I was going to email you with this question but thought it might serve better to have all the board bros in on it.

I know a few of the builders on the Frugal Horn and DIY sites have been giving Bamboo Plywood high praise for use in building their cabinets.
Have you, or any others experimented with using this in your cabinets?
The stuff is a little pricey but I really like the looks of the few various styles that I have seen at my lumber store.

When factoring in the cost and time to do a nice veneered finish on Baltic Birch, the Bamboo Ply would not be a whole lot more of an expense.
With the traditional "butt" fit on the panels, the end grain on the Bamboo would give a nice look, at least to my eyes.

Check out some of the looks the stuff comes in:

http://www.calibamboo.com/bambooplywood.html?gclid=CNXsr8L3zboCFcYRMwod-CcAXA
http://www.woodistry.com/articles/BambooPlywood.htm

The 3 most feared words in racing... "Powered by Honda"
Re: Bamboo Plywood? [message #78291 is a reply to message #78290] Tue, 05 November 2013 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've never used bamboo plywood. But I can tell you this for sure - It isn't the base wood you need to be concerned with, other than its tendency to form knots. The main thing to pay attention to is the adhesive and construction technique, specifically, what happens when there are voids in the laminations that are pressed together.

Baltic birch is superior not because birch is good but because they use several thin laminations pressed together with enough adhesive it squishes into any voids that may be present and fills them completely. This makes a truly void-free product, and that's the most important thing. Marine grade plywood is also built to be free of defects.

Most plywood products use a fewer number of thicker sheets, and where there are voids, they are not filled in with adhesive. So inevitably, debris breaks off inside the void, and is trapped, vibrating with the music. Consequently, most speakers made out of plywood buzz, sometimes immediately but sometimes not until a few months or years have passed, when debris breaks off and begins to buzz.

Once a plywood cabinet begins to buzz, it is generally unsalvageable. Some people try to find the void, drill into it and inject adhesive, but the likelihood is there are multiple voids in any cabinet made with plywood having thick plys. So for this reason, I've always chosen either marine grade plywood or baltic birch, both of which are known to have fewer defects because of their construction technique.

Re: Bamboo Plywood? [message #78293 is a reply to message #78291] Tue, 05 November 2013 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HPower is currently offline  HPower
Chancellor
Yes, the way that BB is constructed is what makes it such a good material for cabinet material.
I do not know a ton about the Bamboo Plywood but from what I have read and the bit that I have seen in person it also appears to be very well made with virtually no voids.
It is definitely very hard and stable stuff, much heavier to lift than the same size sheet of BB.

It would be very interesting to see if there would be any sonic difference with a BB cabinet next to a BP one.

Anybody else out there trying Bamboo Ply?

The 3 most feared words in racing... "Powered by Honda"
Re: Bamboo Plywood? [message #91855 is a reply to message #78293] Mon, 11 May 2020 13:18 Go to previous message
rupeshkush712 is currently offline  rupeshkush712
Esquire
Hi there, Bamboo utilize is more grounded and harder wearing than most hardwoods.The multi layers are cross-overlaid and heat squeezed together to give dependability and forestall twisting, making bamboo employ 3-4 times all the more dimensionally stable then Oak. Overlaid bamboo pressed wood is produced using level rectangular bamboo strips that are cut from the bamboo stem.

check out some stuffs of bamboo flooring.

Bamboo Plywood
Previous Topic: Request for 4 pi plans
Next Topic: How to fasten R11/13?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:28:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers