Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Cassis
Cassis [message #10882] Thu, 16 December 2004 08:54 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
The Hammond 8x4x2 chassis no. 1444-10 plus the bottom plate is 17$ I may go with that. Plus 4$ shipping but there are some other things in there I need so the shipping is o'kay. Anyone for powder coat?

Re: Cassis [message #10884 is a reply to message #10882] Thu, 16 December 2004 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Powder coat looks nice. Most cities have a place that will do it locally. What color you gonna go with, John?

Re: Cassis [message #10885 is a reply to message #10884] Thu, 16 December 2004 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I*'m pondering. The chassis comes in a pretty nice black finish as it is. I had liked the idea of that Marantz style bronze vintage.

Re: Cassis [message #10886 is a reply to message #10885] Thu, 16 December 2004 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hammond's satin black finish on their metal enclosures are very nice. Used one for my preamp last year. Takes a lot to scratch it. I know. The black bottom cover makes for a very nice top plate if you go the route of metal plate on wooden frame as your chassis.

gar.

Re: Cassis [message #10888 is a reply to message #10886] Thu, 16 December 2004 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Funny; that suggestion fits exactly; the wooden frame thing. Another piece of the puzzle. Thanks

Re: Cassis [message #10889 is a reply to message #10886] Thu, 16 December 2004 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Manualblock, if you like the Marantz bronze look, Rustoleum Hammered Finish in the aerosol can (dark bronze color) is a fair approximation. I prefer PPG industrial bake-on enamel, but it's very expensive when you buy the minimum quantity of 1 gallon. It must also be baked at a high temp for a good while, which stinks the house up badly! Very poor WAF when using her oven to do it also......

Even more expensive but fantastic is Polane, a catalyzed epoxy paint by Sherwin Williams that needs no baking. $150 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Rustoleum Hammered Finish is about $6 a can, looks good, and is incredibly tough considering it's an air dry enamel. I think the metal powder in it strengthens it a lot, the way the metal powder in J-B Weld epoxy does.

Here's the method I use: If using Hammond metalwork, get it in the industrial gray color, and coarse sand it with a palm sander after punching/drilling. Wipe it down well and spray it with a single coat of high quality primer, and let it dry a couple of days. My favorite is SEM Self-Etching primer (#39673 Black), available at auto paint stores in aerosol cans.

Spray a medium cover coat of the Rustoleum and let it flash off about 5 minutes. Place it in a preheated 225 degree oven (electric ovens only!) for an hour or so, and then turn it off and let it cool fully with the oven. Spray another wet, heavy coat for the final finish and repeat the oven treatment. It not only hastens the drying, but also increases the gloss. Let the finish fully cure (a few days) before using. You may then also further increase the hardness of the shine a great deal by polishing with Meguiar's car polish and a flannel cloth.

It's an attractive, durable finish that doesn't scratch very easily. After being polished, it has a glossy, extremely slick surface that makes it easy to dust and clean. Any small scratches that occur can be easily polished out with Meguiar's final polish or a good wax like Meguiar's Gold Class. As a side benefit, the hammered finish also hides any surface imperfections in the base material.

My 2 cents worth. Keep the change!

Thermionic

Re: Cassis [message #10890 is a reply to message #10889] Fri, 17 December 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks T; I hope you don't mind but I printed this out for future reference. It sounds like exactly what I am looking for. God help anyone who decides to use the toaster oven next. Hammerite english muffin.

Re: Cassis [message #10893 is a reply to message #10890] Sat, 18 December 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
I haven't noticed any Hammerite flavor in the biscuits yet, but I do leave the door open a while after drying or baking paint. I also fan it open and closed several times after preheating it before it's next use.

I believe the actual effects of the fumes is worse than any odd taste in the chicken would be. You definitely want some windows/doors open, or it will overtake you pretty good.

"Wow, look at all the pretty colors everywhere..........Dude, whoa!"

I had to dry some paint last night, and noticed I had told you wrong. On my oven at least, 225 is way too hot. It's actually more like 160 to 180 on the dial, in the "warm" range as marked. Sorry about that, my memory of things I see even every day is not too good. May be the paint fumes........

Thermionic

Re: Cassis [message #10894 is a reply to message #10893] Sat, 18 December 2004 16:17 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That might explain the little cinder that was left in the oven.

Previous Topic: picking one amp
Next Topic: tube sources needed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 20:34:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout