Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi with feet (images of my 4pi project)
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78316 is a reply to message #78315] Fri, 08 November 2013 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Excellent. The overall timber is much more balanced. Amazing how much SPL was lost in the older woofers. My guess is the original voice coils had been overheated and partially shorted.

While I can still see the microphone's loss in the top octave and I can also notice ripple from reflections in the environment, the basic spectral balance in the speaker shows clearly. I'd say everything is right now.

Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78318 is a reply to message #78127] Fri, 08 November 2013 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lucasmateo is currently offline  lucasmateo
Baron
My living room is not the best place to make measurements and not the best to listen...There are lots of reflections. I'm moving anyway... The top octave rolloff have to be the bad measurements as it doesn't sound like that.

The other speaker has arrived, the dome is not so neat as the first one, but it looks fine. Tomorrow I'll test it.

Do you know a good way to protect the woofers?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=261-825
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=262-866

Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78319 is a reply to message #78318] Fri, 08 November 2013 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Grilles are the best way I know of to protect the speaker cones. If there are no pets or kids, you can remove the grilles if you want. But where there are "curious fingers" (or paws), having a grille in place can save a few hundred bucks.

I like using grilles with embedded magnets to hold them in place. That way when they are removed, there is no visible mounting clamp. I think it's kind of a neat touch.

The trick is to drill a hole in the cabinet, glue in a small magnet and cover it with veneer. Then use a mating magnet in the grille. This creates an invisible mount.

Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78320 is a reply to message #78319] Fri, 08 November 2013 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Cool.

Can I use the metal grille that parts-express sells? Can I use a magnet with those grilles?

I have both, pets and curious fingers.

Congratulations Wayne, that was your message number 16.000 !
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78321 is a reply to message #78320] Fri, 08 November 2013 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sure, you can use those metal grilles. They are designed to mount with screws.

Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78331 is a reply to message #78127] Sun, 10 November 2013 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Well,

I've been listening to this babies for a while and even if they are still breaking in there's a huge difference with the first listening sessions. Its night and day, all the bass and mid problems I found the first time are gone, now its really smooth, I think I wont be able to measure this as I don't have the necessary equipment nor place to make it.

The soundstage and image the 4pi make is unbelievable, very tight and defined bass, natural voices in the front, separated instruments. All I need, and more, it has an INCREDIBLE dynamic range. Definitely a speaker for a long time, to best this I think I'll have to buy car price speakers (maybe a cornerhorn?), but I dont have corners for speakers)

In sometime I'll post some new photos with grilles. I'll use some rare earth magnets, and VOX style grilles. I don't have the time now, and I prefer to enjoy the speakers rather than continue working on them, maybe January.

I hope this thread helps others to make their own 4pi. It takes time, and its an expensive project but it really really worth it.

I want to thank ell you guys who helped me on this project, specially Wayne. This is the first speaker I make, and it was a very successful project. Next project will be the grilles, and then two subwoofers.
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78333 is a reply to message #78127] Sun, 10 November 2013 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
One last take with the reconed woofers.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1339&private=0
  • Attachment: 4Pi_photo.jpg
    (Size: 1.54MB, Downloaded 8817 times)
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78335 is a reply to message #78333] Sun, 10 November 2013 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks really great!

Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78385 is a reply to message #78335] Sat, 16 November 2013 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duncan McBride is currently offline  Duncan McBride
Baron
The cabinet design is inspired. Well done.
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78389 is a reply to message #78385] Sun, 17 November 2013 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Thanks Duncan. I ordered some parts to make the grills, the magnets won't be invisible but I hope they look good. The grill cloth will be a black VOX cloth.
Previous Topic: New Here - 7pi and ??? for LCR
Next Topic: H290C Horn Tweeter Review
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:17:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout