Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi with feet (images of my 4pi project)
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78279 is a reply to message #78275] Mon, 04 November 2013 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lucasmateo is currently offline  lucasmateo
Baron
Thanks Wayne for your assistance.

I made this amateur measurements because I've been listening to the speakers and found them with less bass and a little on the bright side as I said on previous posts. They sound really good actually, but depends on records and placements.

So the measurements and your comments confirms what I feel.

I've called my country's JBL service and they told me that reconing is USD200/woofer. I think its quite expensive but I bought the woofers quite cheap, so maybe I take the woofers to them. The woofers were reconed as I can see glue on the side of the spiders. So I think is the woofers too.

Tonight I'll open the speakers and take a look at the crossovers.
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78281 is a reply to message #78279] Mon, 04 November 2013 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's a fair reconing price. Do make sure you are getting genuine JBL cones. As long as they are genuine parts, they'll bring the drivers back to being 100% good as new.

Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78283 is a reply to message #78281] Mon, 04 November 2013 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I/ve checked the R1 and R2 on the crossover: the R1 are 33Ω and 20Ω, the R2 are 15Ω.

You said 20 and 30 for R1, and 16 for R2, so I guess this is ok. So it might be the woofers.
What do you think?

index.php?t=getfile&id=1333&private=0
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78284 is a reply to message #78283] Mon, 04 November 2013 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, very good. Those are the right values for R1 and R2. Just making sure we didn't have the wrong configuration for your loudspeaker.

Must be the woofers. Get 'em reconed, and you'll know that everything is perfect.

Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78289 is a reply to message #78127] Tue, 05 November 2013 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HPower is currently offline  HPower
Chancellor
Hey lucasmateo,

Great job on you 4Pis, they look fantastic Exclamation

As Wayne knows from a couple of our previous emails I was having trouble sourcing a pair of used 2226s that were both affordable and worthy of such a build.

$200 sounds about right for genuine JBL reconing, up here in Canada I was quoted $300 plus tax per woofer.

The 3 most feared words in racing... "Powered by Honda"
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78292 is a reply to message #78289] Tue, 05 November 2013 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks Tom!

I've just left my JBL for reconing. They were really kind, they even showed me the original JBL reconing kit, and it was original. U$S211/woofer, quite expensive, but I think its a fair price as I see, almost the same than US and cheaper than Canada!

Maybe they are done for Friday, maybe Monday, I'll post the news.

They told me they were very old, and they had been probably stored for years in a place quite humid, the suspension is a little stiff and they were reconed, but a good reconing the told me.

They sell the 2226H new for U$S700, and the Eminence for U$S322.

Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78294 is a reply to message #78292] Tue, 05 November 2013 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matts is currently offline  Matts
Grand Master
Those drivers are expensive, but they're worth it. If you keep them for home use in your Pi's, they should be good for years & years. Good luck with them!
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78295 is a reply to message #78127] Tue, 05 November 2013 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dheflin44 is currently offline  dheflin44
Baron
Hi lucasmateo,

Your 4Pis look great...Very professional looking finish. Can you share how you got the recessed routing for the H290C so precise?

Thanks,
Darrell
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78296 is a reply to message #78295] Tue, 05 November 2013 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
A friend who is a very talented carpenter helped me with the woodwork. We used 18mm MDF first layer, then a second 18mm MDF layer at front but with the horn exterior measures (CNC cut) and a last 3rd layer of a 3mm plywood with veneer as finish layer. Then theres is a 12mm MDF layer and a 2mm PVC between the horn and the first layer to achieve the exact dimensions.
Total front face is 39mm (1.54 inches) and where the H290C is on 32mm (1.26 inches)
(that is what I remember)

The last 2 layers (18mm MDF and 3mm plywood) were cutted by a CNC router with a 1mm margin.

The PVC layer is a shower pan liner.

If you look at the first photos you can see the layers, I can take some shots if you want.
Re: 4Pi with feet [message #78315 is a reply to message #78296] Fri, 08 November 2013 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Well, I have news.

First, the JBL guys gave me one of the woofers, the second woofer was bad centered... no words. They'll give it to me later or tomorrow morning. (btw: the cones that were installed were original.)

Second, they sound much better, I've measured the speaker with the same crappy laptop and it looks much better. They still have to break in, but the sound now is much more smoother, and bass is much more balanced and present (my first concern when I first listened to the speakers.

I've also changed the internal wires with some Van den Hul 14awg (the cheap one) cable I had stored.

Here's the graph. What do you think now?

(T-nuts will arrive next week. Wood screws are a pain to reinstall...)

index.php?t=getfile&id=1338&private=0

Previous Topic: New Here - 7pi and ??? for LCR
Next Topic: H290C Horn Tweeter Review
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:23:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers