Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Homebrew amp schematics
Re: Homebrew amp schematics [message #10859 is a reply to message #10858] Mon, 13 December 2004 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
We will need photo's of the build process. The ownwers of the site from DIY will allow a build for personal use only. None of the parts will impact anyone on ART in terms of revenue. First descisions are whether to follow the parts list on the site and if not what changes to make. Next a chassis. That should be a good start. I will say that Angela has the best prices on these tubes and a good set of chinese made ceramic 9-pin sockets. I already have some of these tubes and sockets. Keep me informed as to how you want to start; J.R.
The explanation of exactly what and why the circuit is doing would also be nice.

Re: Homebrew amp schematics [message #10861 is a reply to message #10858] Mon, 13 December 2004 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It looks to me like this is well within the rules of the website; It's just the kind of thing AudioRoundTable.com is here for.

So I'm watchin', not because I'm a moderator but because it's interesting!

Re: Homebrew amp schematics [message #10862 is a reply to message #10859] Mon, 13 December 2004 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'll try to find a chassis. It seems to me like one of those metal boxes like sold at electronics houses would work just fine. Might be nice to have a "standard," and maybe we could even arrange quantity discounts that way. My first throught is that it would be good to have the socket holes punched, but the more I think about it, the more I think that it isn't necessary; One can drill holes this size. I'd like to see chrome plated chassis though, or maybe painted wit a powder coat or other attractive finish.

Re: Homebrew amp schematics [message #10863 is a reply to message #10862] Tue, 14 December 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
We need to try Par-metal, they have nice looking box's for good prices and they sell small quantity. They will also finish it in one of three styles. If you mark clearly the template on the surface of the chassis a competent metal shop would probably drill it for you for a couple bucks. For those who don't have access to a shop. I bought a small set of chassis punches for 50$ a while ago and they are very handy.

Re: Homebrew amp schematics [message #10865 is a reply to message #10863] Tue, 14 December 2004 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds like a great idea!

alright, here we go estimating... [message #10895 is a reply to message #10854] Sun, 19 December 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
We'll need a PT, Hammond 261G6 is what I used for my 5687. ~$30
Filament supply, 12.6 V TX from RadioShack ~$13, + caps and LM317 ~$6
One 5687 and socket. ~$15 Output coupling caps, $7 for ASC oilers at Allied. One 6CA4, socket and two 1N4007 for a full bridge, ~$15. Hammond 30hy/40 mA choke and 2-400 uF 400V cap, ~$25.

Mosfets and heatsinks and resistors for a Pimm-style CCS ( output from his 'mu' output ), ~$15.

Choke input supply, CCS loads and 5687 amp. for less gain, try 12B4's.

Looks like ~$140 by the time you get everything. It will kick some serious can, I guarantee (with Justin Wilson cadence )!
regards,
Douglas
!

Re: alright, here we go estimating... [message #10899 is a reply to message #10895] Sun, 19 December 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanks for the information. I need to sit down and digest it. Manualbloc estimated around $125 for the cost; so, I'm very glad to see you two are very close in cost. I'm also glad it will "kick some serious can."

I've built a few kits (all from Bottlehead) but the idea of going from schematics to a functioning piece of equipment is really exciting for me. All the help I can get in understanding design vs function is greatly appreciated, and, again, I thank you for your help....Regards, Colin

PS. I'm going to try to get the powers that be to start a new forum for group build projects. Not only for this preamp, but hopefully this is just one project of many.

Group Build Forum [message #10918 is a reply to message #10899] Tue, 21 December 2004 09:09 Go to previous message
admin
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Administrator
"I'm going to try to get the powers that be to start a new forum for group build projects. Not only for this preamp, but hopefully this is just one project of many."

Good idea. You got it.

Previous Topic: A pentode on the input circuit...
Next Topic: who likes drawing composite curves?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:26:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio