Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » A Smaller Constant Directivity Pi?
A Smaller Constant Directivity Pi? [message #78021] Sat, 05 October 2013 07:11 Go to next message
rkeman is currently offline  rkeman
Viscount
The proliferation of home theater has changed the audio industry landscape. The addition of more channels has stretched the capability of amplifiers, processes and speakers in an environment now requiring as many as nine loudspeakers (right and left front, sides, rears, front height and front center) in a room. Mixing surround material has also changed over the past decade in both the music and motion picture industries and a diffuse surround layout appears to have lost favor.

Given these changes, has there been any thought of developing a smaller format constant directivity two-way for use in the secondary channels? Hsu Research has a small in wall horn-loaded two-way that I've heard in a few systems and the DIY Sound Group has a few smaller systems available, but loudspeakers sharing the same tonal and spacial qualities the large Pi models would pe preferable. Perhaps a "super" 1 or 2Pi?
Re: A Smaller Constant Directivity Pi? [message #78022 is a reply to message #78021] Sat, 05 October 2013 09:40 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've made several variations of constant directivity cornerhorn over the years. The smallest one used a JBL 2115 in a very small cabinet, only about a cubic foot. Very nice sounding speaker, I might add.

I've experimented with both two-way and three-way implementations of the constant directivity cornerhorn approach, with the current five π loudspeaker being a good modern representation of what can be done in a two-way format. I do feel the current three-way designs are better though.

The six π and seven π models are both three-way loudspeakers and are somewhat large, but they are designed to be best-of-class offerings. I didn't have to compromise any aspect of either design.

Previous Topic: Pi II Plans
Next Topic: 360 Degree Speaker?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 13:41:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout