Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » comparing amplifiers
An alternate take [message #10827 is a reply to message #10823] Thu, 09 December 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
First, only one of the amps described above is an SET. The T is for triode.

Single ended triode amps have higher THD because they don't resort to negative feedback as a band-aid to fix the inherent nonlinearity of pentodes and transistors. Their distortion is almost entirely low (2nd, 4th) even order distortion, which is much less disturbing to the enjoyment of music than far smaller quantities of higher, (3,5,7 etc) odd order harmonics, which transistor amps produce in more than sufficient quantity to toss the musical baby out with the bath water. Feedback, especially global feedback, obscures and destroys fine detail and thoroughly screws up timing.

As to clipping, transistor amps clip like a ton of bricks - one step over the line, and it's like a waiter dropping a tray stacked high with glassware. Tube amps, and in my experience, SET's in particular, clip much more gently, so an occasional overdoing the volume isn't ghastly. On the other hand, if you're using the right kind of speakers, you won't be clipping the amp in the first place. Kept in the linear part of their response, distortion is extremely low, and fidelity to the musical signal extremely high. That's why you hear/read so often that the most important thing is to get the first watt right. Having a lousy first watt, but hundreds more to back it up is not nearly as satisfying as having a handful of watts, but all of them musically communicative.

As you noted about the Yamaha amp, the best solid state amps do little to offend, but they render the music uninteresting and blah. It's not the amp that has no personality; its personality has stripped the composer and the performers of theirs!

Why do you suppose that every year at CES I find a short tour of the rooms exhibiting solid state gear exhausting, while I linger in (most) of the rooms utilizing tube gear - SET's in particular? It's all of the above combined.

I know this will draw a response of "sure ya like it - ya sells it!", but the fact, as several of you know, is: I got into this nutty business because of what the gear I sell did for my listening enjoyment BEFORE I sold it. I'd be making far more money, but having a lot less fun if I'd stuck to MOR gear and a corporate job.

Re: An alternate take [message #10828 is a reply to message #10827] Thu, 09 December 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say DR you ought to point some of the naysayers to the article in the previous issue of AudioeXpress where Jean Hiraga and others explain the reasons they believe Amps that generate higher order distortion artifacts sound bad. A violin exhibits many harmonics of the fundamental tone yet sounds pretty good.
I have read studies showing that all amps clip. So to me that just strengthens your argument. What gets me is why others can't seem to hear or admitt they hear this irritating solid state problem. I don't sell anything but I do love music. Why in Gods name would we not want to pay 300$ for an amp instead of 3000$? It just assumes all tube guys are fools.

Re: An alternate take [message #10831 is a reply to message #10827] Thu, 09 December 2004 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI DR,
YOu are right. THe other two (the zen and the ASUSA) use pentodes wired in single-ended triode mode.
I am not sure if the extremely low levels of distortion in ss amps are at all audible. I think some scientific studies have shown about 0.5% THD is audible for pure sine waves, much higher for music. So, if an amp is producing THD of 0.2%, it's components (whether odd or even order) may not matter.

I think SETs produce more involving sound becuase of the 3 reasons I mentioned in my post above. In a sense, they offer equalization that is preferred by many of us. As a fond SET owner & listener, I am obviously on your & John's side. I just don'think that SETs actually provide better fidelity, in fact I think they provide appreciably worse fidelity...they just SOUND better, in other words they manipulate the signal so it sounds good. For example, audible second order distortion actually makes a signal SOUND "fatter" or weightier....which I persoanlly like....makes the illusion more real! But if the goal is fidelity, then I at least have to go with solid state. IF the goal is enjoyment, then it doesn;t really matter. AS i said, i usually lsiten to my SET 45, which probably measures god awful, but who cares?
-akhilesh

Re: An alternate take [message #10832 is a reply to message #10831] Thu, 09 December 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRCope is currently offline  DRCope
Master
As far as I'm concerned, it's ALL about musical enjoyment. What the heck else is an audio system good for? You can't eat it, drive it or make love to it. (AFAIK. Please don't correct me if I'm wrong about any of those!)

I've yet to hear a solid state amp whose reproduction bears even a passing resemblence to any instrument or any voice, but quite a few SETs that do. So the question is: Fidelity to what?

Good SET amps do not sound fat. I've heard quite a few that do, but remember, I said *good*. Not only good design, but equally important, good quality key parts, particularly iron and power supplies, but also caps, resistors and wire. The ones I listen to regularly sound extremely detailed and precise, without losing the organic sense the sand amps never have.

But, chac un a son gout, which, of course, is French for "to each his own goo."

Re: Some reasons why SETs sound different [message #10833 is a reply to message #10823] Thu, 09 December 2004 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thetubeguy1954 is currently offline  thetubeguy1954
Chancellor
Hello everyone. I'm a new member who migrated over from Audio Asylum. I couldn't remain where a subject cannot be debated and discussed, but rather turns into name calling as self-proclaimed audio gurus attack all who disagree with their audio beliefs. While musical monks constantly chant STEREOPHILE DOES NO WRONG, STEREOPHILE DOES NO WRONG, over & over again... Well in any event I read this thread with great interest. I own a Mastersound Reference 845 integrated SET. It's very big (15" L x 22" D x 10" H) heavy (150LBS) and expensive. I believe that manualblock had it correct when he said; "Why in Gods name would we not want to pay $300 for an amp instead of $3000? It just assumes all tube guys are fools." I agree with that statement 100%!!!! I didn't buy the Mastersound because it cost a lot of money. Fact is, I'm disabled and need to save long and hard to buy my audio components. I didn't buy it because it's an SET, either. I bought the Mastersound because it came closer than anything else I'd ever heard to making music sound like music. This amp stopped me from criticing my CD and lulls me into listening to my CD's. It makes one song turn into a CD. Then it makes a CD turn into CD's. Next thing I know it's 3 AM in the morning and I still want to listen to music. That's the main reason anyone who buys any piece of audio gear should buy it! BECAUSE IT MAKES MUSIC. Find me another amplifier that; A) SOUNDS as much like real music as the Mastersound does and B) LOOKS, yes looks plays a part in my choice, as good as the Mastersound does for under $3000 and I'll buy it and sell the Mastersound TODAY! I have no vested interest in spending a lot of money or buying an SET. It's just that, unfortunate as it may be, SET's come closest to making music sound like music. Even more unfortunately, the more they cost, the more realistic they become. I've owned solid state and it can be good, but it's never GREAT. I swore I'd never own tube equipment, afterall from the moment you turn them on your tubes (like us) are just that much closer to death. But when I heard a good tube system, I knew it was superior to solid state. Just like when I heard an SET I knew it was superior to all other tube topologies (maybe OTL is an exception ~ I'm still undecided) SET is like SEX, once you've had it, you cannot imagine life without it. I believe this to be the truth with all my heart and soul. I just wished someone could make a $500 solid state amp sound like a $5000 or $10,000 SET does. Then I could afford to bi-amp or tri-amp. But until that day arrives, I'll live with my 40W ch of SET bliss.

I'd like to also address something akhilesh said. After akhilesh proposed the question: "Which offers greater "fidelity"? he proclaimed "I think SS amps for sure" I must state that I disagree with this statement 100% I firmly believe that SET's offer the greatest fidelity! According to the Merriam-Webster Collage dictionary Fidelity means:

1 a : the quality or state of being faithful b : accuracy in details : EXACTNESS
2 : the degree to which an electronic device (as a record player, radio, or television) accurately reproduces its effect (as sound or picture)

So if we use #1 as the main meaning, then for true musical fidelity we need to have accuracy in details or "exactness". This is exactly what an SET offers, Musical accuracy. Think about it. Isn't that what everyone who owns an SET says? Just how much it sounds like real music! How can it sound closer to real music and be less accuarte? It CANNOT! Unfortunately, many people look at what the microphone produces. They then compare that signal to another electrical signal and claim how accurately one electronic signal is to the other electronic signal. But our ears are not microphones, they hear completely differently. If you don't believe that statement to be true, please explain why, in any setting, where the music and singers are NOT amplified electrically you'll never hear simbilance (that exaggerated sssss sound at the end of words) yet take that same performance, record it and listen to what the microphone heard and BAM simbilance is now introduced and heard. So either a) It wasn't there in the performance and was later introduced by the mic or b) our ears don't hear like mics do. Either way you look at it, I don't want it added to the music. This is a tough subject and could go on and on. However IMHO, SET's are more accurate than solid state in that they sound more like real music. Solid state is more accurate than an SET when you are comparing one electronic signal to another electronic signal. Just like the second meaning in the dictionary...

Tom Scata (thetubeguy1954)

That's my 2 cents worth.

Re: Carver's Pro Tripath Amp [message #10834 is a reply to message #10819] Thu, 09 December 2004 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thetubeguy1954 is currently offline  thetubeguy1954
Chancellor
Yeah but with 500LBS of Trannies and tubes, you have something to show for your hard earned cash. I guess these guys say "It sound like a $3000 SET so it needs to cost what a $3000 SET costs! That's why there will NEVER be a GREAT $500 solid state amp that sounds like a GREAT, Heavy, expensive SET does. They'll build their amp with $100 worth of parts and rather then charge $500 or $1000 they keep comparing it to more and more expensive amps until they say "opps not quite as good as the $2000 SET. Let's charge $1800"

Tom Scata (thetubeguy1954)

Re: An alternate take [message #10835 is a reply to message #10827] Thu, 09 December 2004 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Maybe SET could be Single Ended Tube? I think most consider it to mean single-ended triode but maybe it could be used in a broader sense, just being a Class-A tube amp configuration.

Re: An alternate take [message #10836 is a reply to message #10832] Thu, 09 December 2004 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
"As far as I'm concerned, it's ALL about musical enjoyment. What the heck else is an audio system good for? You can't eat it, drive it or make love to it. (AFAIK. Please don't correct me if I'm wrong about any of those!)"

Re: An alternate take [message #10837 is a reply to message #10835] Thu, 09 December 2004 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice thought, Wayne! Actually, i think it IS triode. The pentodes can be wired in triode mode if two of the 5 elements are not considered. That's how the zen & asusa amps use pentode tubes, wired in TRIODE mode
-akhilesh

Re: Some reasons why SETs sound different [message #10838 is a reply to message #10833] Thu, 09 December 2004 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Tom,
Welcome from the asylum. Many of us here share your thoughts about that place!

I agree with you that SETs sound great. In fact i just listened to my quasi single driver home brewed setup with my set 45 amp today and really liked it. I still think that SETs sound different from other amps becuase of the 3 reasons in my post above. In fact I know this to be true... i don't just need to take it on faith. However, this does not mean that's bad: otherwise i would not own SETs! I LIKE how they alter the signal. But that they alter the signal can be easily proved.

In terms of what is fidelity: that is a matter of semantics,right? If you define it as something one BELIEVES is accurate, then that is one thng...if it is defined as something measured as accurate, then that is another thing. I think most people would define it as the measurable faitlhful reporoduction of an input signal at hte output...but hey....who cares? It's all semantics.

Also, many of us may be interested to know that anything a SET amp can do CAN be duplicated in an SS amp, in fact Bob Carver did produce his amps in the mid 1990's with 2 outputs: one with low impedance and one with significant impedance (to reduce the damping factor). Tailoring a frequncy curve is not a big deal either. Neither is introducing audible even order distortion. All of these can be introduced in an SS amp. Anything a tube amp can do in terms of amplifying a signal, an SS amp can do.

The good thing with an SS amp, if someone like Bob Carver were to do this again, would be to offer us CHOICES: like, a set of settings for a 300B type effect, another for a 45 type effect, and so on.
That would be really cool!
I await such an amp. Maybe some DIY type here can figure out the circuit for us!

The reason why such a thng is not done, in my opinion, is becuase most amps today are based on commercial chips, and no chip designer will design an amplifier that would conform to the specs of a tube...they'd be laughed out of the business. What we need is a dedicated discrete digital amplifier! But if we have to use those, may as well use tubes. Hence the current state.

PLease do not take this as a criticism of SETs: I LOVE them. 3 out of my 4 amps are SETs. But that they do the three things in my earlier post can be easily ascertained by talking to electrical engineers who are old enoughto have had tube training!
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: Really cool DIY Rogue's Gallery I fell over
Next Topic: Stoetkit arrived!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:56:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers