Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » comparing amplifiers
another iimigrant... [message #10896 is a reply to message #10844] Sun, 19 December 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hey-hey!!!,
I think that the discussion has comvered a lot of my opinions on the subject. There are a few things I would like to add.

First being that it is quite difficult to get a grip on the quantities to measure. the current set of measurements does show SS with better numbers. I have heard many nice SE amps and don't appreciate their performance. I like PP. Not the traditional, but Class A, and built like the amps which gave SE their reputation as 'best'. HD power supply design, choke input filters, excellent parts...

For an amp, adding loop NFB improves the quantities which are measurable...but the amp does not sound the same anymore. Generally it sounds worse. This contradiction leads me to believe that the measurements which show SS as better just aren't the whole story.

My PP amps have a lot of NFB, it is short path, plate-to-grid through a circuit called E-Linear. It works quite well IMO. low output z, good freq. response...
regards,
Douglas
!

Re: Some reasons why SETs sound different [message #10929 is a reply to message #10839] Sun, 23 January 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve is currently offline  Steve
Viscount
HI Tom. Good to see you here. I do have one comment that may shed light on the subject.

Are we sure it is the mic or the equipment after the mic? The reason I mention this is because the recording equipment I have seen thus far is far from SET or even PP quality. Usually poor quality SS designs and the ICs are very poor too.

Just a thought.
Take care buddy.
Steve

good until.... [message #10954 is a reply to message #10860] Sat, 12 February 2005 05:16 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
until we put it in the room with one ov mine maybe!( as long as I don't hook up one channel anti-phase, or some other foolishness ).

Howdy John, good to see you in these parts
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: Really cool DIY Rogue's Gallery I fell over
Next Topic: Stoetkit arrived!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:29:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio