Home » Audio » Source » Transferring VCR To DVD
Transferring VCR To DVD [message #77968] Sun, 29 September 2013 15:08 Go to next message
Fannie is currently offline  Fannie
Chancellor
I have several video cassette recordings, home movies etc., that I would like to transfer to DVD. What type of equipment would I need to do this?
Re: Transferring VCR To DVD [message #77972 is a reply to message #77968] Mon, 30 September 2013 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You have a couple options. You can use a service and pay someone to do it for you. If you want to do it yourself, you can use a capture card and your computer but you will need to have a lot of space on your hard drive.
Re: Transferring VCR To DVD [message #77999 is a reply to message #77968] Wed, 02 October 2013 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Georgiana is currently offline  Georgiana
Chancellor
Audioaudio90, how does the capture card work? I am assuming you connect the VCR and the computer somehow. Is the capture card installed through a media drive or inside the processor?
Re: Transferring VCR To DVD [message #78004 is a reply to message #77999] Wed, 02 October 2013 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Some capture cards are available as external USB connected devices. You feed the video and audio into the device and software supplied with the device will make a digital copy. Some programs will allow you to make DVDs of the files. Be aware though that the copy process takes place in real time and the copy process can be lengthy as well. There are some standalone devices that have a VCR and DVD recorder in one case. They were quite common a few years ago and would allow you to put in a non-copy protected video tape and make a DVD of it all in one process. I seem to recall they were by Magnavox and Panasonic and were in the $200 range. Personally I would rather put the video on a hard drive first and then edit it if needed and then send it to a disk. The external video cards were about $60-100 and made by several companies. I would probably go that route. Be aware though that you need to verify that your PC has a good enough processor, ram and large enough drive. Video eats up drive space at an enormous rate.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Transferring VCR To DVD [message #78061 is a reply to message #77968] Wed, 09 October 2013 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chase is currently offline  Chase
Baron
It's really a lot more affordable to take you cassette into Walgreens or Walmart. They will transfer the tape for you. It usually has to be sent out and takes about a week. Video stores like Blockbuster or Family Video can also transfer them for you.
Re: Transferring VCR To DVD [message #78076 is a reply to message #78061] Thu, 10 October 2013 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Chase wrote on Wed, 09 October 2013 09:21
It's really a lot more affordable to take you cassette into Walgreens or Walmart. They will transfer the tape for you. It usually has to be sent out and takes about a week. Video stores like Blockbuster or Family Video can also transfer them for you.

I didn't know Walgreens and Walmart did VHS to DVD transfers. That is pretty neat. I haven't seen a Blockbuster or Family Video around in a few years now.
Re: Transferring VCR To DVD [message #79095 is a reply to message #78076] Mon, 27 January 2014 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RustyC is currently offline  RustyC
Baron
Just let me chime in here with one warning. Do not do not do not buy one of those all in one units that allegedly let you play either VHS or DVD and allegedly will convert one to the other for you. I've owned two now. They were both mediocre at even playing either the VHS or the DVD. They were complicated to hook up and to use. And the transfer quality was abysmal. I think it must just be asking too much to put both those technologies in one moderate-sized box and do them well at a consumer-level price.

I agree with turning them over to a professional. Both my sister and I have had things converted (8mm movies, VHS and old photos) into nice DVDs. We used some mail order company, but I've heard that Walgreens will do it fine.
Re: Transferring VCR To DVD [message #79138 is a reply to message #77968] Wed, 29 January 2014 04:49 Go to previous message
Samuel is currently offline  Samuel
Baron
My local pharmacy used to offer transfer services-VHS, audio cassette and so on. I'm not sure if they still do, but we used them and were pleased. The cost of buying the equipment for a one off use just didn't make sense.
Previous Topic: Turntable Needles
Next Topic: How Long Will Vinyl Last?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:44:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout