Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Three PI X-over questions
Three PI X-over questions [message #77899] Tue, 24 September 2013 04:42 Go to next message
rx7mark is currently offline  rx7mark
Esquire
HI,
After studying the 3PI crossover schematic for a while and looking at options for parts, I have just a few questions.

My intended setup is going to be with updated drivers, AE TD12S woofer and B&C DE250 tweeter.

1)The schematic notes say that the Zobel and C1 are not required for this configuration. Are these locations jumpered or left open? I would assume open, but wanted to verify.

2) The plans call out for 20uf for C3 & C4 for this configuration, but I was wondering if 22uf is close enough for one or both. Is the woofer or tweeter more critical? Thinking about using the Obbligato oil's, so I have a choice of 22uf, or 2x10uf, or a series of smaller caps cascaded.

3) Anybody have experience with the copper foil inductors? Pro's and Con's? Thinking about either 14ga or 15 ga. Comparing 15ga Jantzen aircore solid wire as recommended. 1.0mh, DCR .30ohm at $15 to Goertz 14ga copper foil 1.0mh, DCR .188 at $31. Obviously a little more expensive, but might be worth it if going for a high end result? Any advise?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Mark
Re: Three PI X-over questions [message #77902 is a reply to message #77899] Tue, 24 September 2013 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Zobel components are simply removed when using the TD12S woofer, leave them open.

You can substitute 22uF capacitors for the ones labeled 20uF, and in fact, that's what we do when using brands that do not offer a 20uF part.

Foil inductors can be used in place of wirewound ones. I have tried them and found no audible or measureable difference, but it sure doesn't hurt to use them.

Re: Three PI X-over questions [message #77903 is a reply to message #77902] Tue, 24 September 2013 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rx7mark is currently offline  rx7mark
Esquire
Thanks Wayne!

Can't wait to get started on the three PI's, but I'm in Italy at the moment on a work assignment, so I can only plan and start collecting parts. After the new year I will be home and able to get started!

Mark
Re: Three PI X-over questions [message #77904 is a reply to message #77903] Tue, 24 September 2013 15:40 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We'll be here when you're ready!

Previous Topic: More Live Nude Resistors
Next Topic: Best Pi Speaker For Home Theater Use
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 09:48:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio