Home » Sponsored » OddWatt Audio » How much should things cost
How much should things cost [message #77809] Mon, 09 September 2013 22:36 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone. Since we are an unusual company (with a name like Oddwatt Audio what else could we be)we are taking an unusual approach to what products we will field next. This is sort of an informal poll on some things we may or may not do. We get numerous requests for features that are presently not included in our kits and assembled products. Some are simple and easy to do, some are not. All can increase the cost. Some rather dramatically. One of the main things we strive to do is provide high quality sound without the high price. So here are some things that folks have asked for and I would like some feed back on what you think they are worth.

1. Valve line stage preamp like the Forewatt with precision digital remote control and input selection.

2. Same as above with solid state MM and MC phono capability

3. Like above with MM all tube phono stage

4. Integrated power amp like the dual mono version of the Poddwatt with digital remote control

5. Same with a SS phono stage

(no tube phono preamp is being considered for the Poddwatt as we believe the price would be too high)

6. Larger integrated stereo amp - much like a pair of KT88 Oddblocks.

7. Same with digital remote control (for those who were at LSAF or saw the Stereo 50 write up much like that)

8. Same with SS phono stage

9. Same with tube phono stage.

BTW we are still working on a guitar head amp, but it will be a while before we can get to it.

Stand alone valve and solid state phono preamps are already in the works.

The remote control under consideration will be same though out the line and is fully IR digitally controlled featuring precision resistors in a relay switched configuration with mute and relay input selection. The valve phono stage is similar to the "Groove" one and the solid state one is much like the one I posted as a simple project a few weeks ago. We have pretty good ideas on what our costs will be with any of the above configurations, but in some cases we think that the costs may exceed customer expectations. If you choose to respond be reasonable. If you wish to remain anonymous you can PM me. I know most of you diy your main stuff, but you often have the pulse of what can fly and what will not. Also think along tube lines as SS equipment is considerably less expensive to implement (thus the SS phono stage option is a lower cost consideration for some tube kits).

Thanks and Good listening
Bruce

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: How much should things cost [message #79088 is a reply to message #77809] Sun, 26 January 2014 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RustyC is currently offline  RustyC
Baron
I'm not an expert. However, in today's market, I think that any time you add a remote control to something, you make people want that something even more. This is completely independent of how much the consumer actually uses the remote.
Re: How much should things cost [message #79093 is a reply to message #79088] Mon, 27 January 2014 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Thanks for the thoughts. The biggest thing about adding something like a remote is the added cost and complexity. We are proceeding with plans for one though and will test the waters with a limited production run.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: How much should things cost [message #82686 is a reply to message #77809] Tue, 24 May 2016 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
I personally would pay more for anything audio if it comes without a remote. I would prefer the old styles as long as the sound quality is up to date.
Re: How much should things cost [message #82695 is a reply to message #82686] Tue, 24 May 2016 14:25 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, At this time we have nothing with a remote, but a line stage preamp with digital input selection and digital resistive (discrete resistors via relays) level control is likely. No other "features" as IMO they tend to get in the way of the music.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Guitar Amplifier Progress
Next Topic: Phono Preamp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:47:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers