Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Buddha Bottlehead C4S
Buddha Bottlehead C4S [message #10728] Tue, 14 September 2004 16:50 Go to next message
tolfrig is currently offline  tolfrig
Esquire
I've heard lots of things about the C4S circuit used in Bottlehead amps. It seems like a constant current source would be a good thing, so the debate seems to be centered on John Camille's Cascode Constant Current Source, or C4S for short. What are the issues? What's good about it and what's bad?

Re: Buddha Bottlehead C4S [message #10730 is a reply to message #10728] Thu, 16 September 2004 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groove Tube is currently offline  Groove Tube
Esquire
My understanding is it throws hash on the grid smearing midrange and treble. How much or to what extent I do not know. It might be a minuscule effect that only propellerheads would ever talk about.

Re: Buddha Bottlehead C4S [message #10732 is a reply to message #10730] Wed, 22 September 2004 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tolfrig is currently offline  tolfrig
Esquire
I see, that makes sense. Mine makes a tiny sound, like a florescent light. You can hear it buzz when there is no sound. Now I know what causes this. The amp sounds very good though, and for the price its hard to beat. Next time I'll try an amp with a different kind of power supply.

Re: Buddha Bottlehead C4S [message #10734 is a reply to message #10732] Sun, 26 September 2004 15:45 Go to previous message
Mark Williams is currently offline  Mark Williams
Baron
Hi,

Do you mean the C4S boards specifically make a sound?

My Paramours in general make a little amp noise but I cannot say this is tied to the C4S boards.

My understanding of these boards is that they, along with other circuitry -- including the use of an inexpensive choke (inductor) permits a cost savings. Specifically, use of a modestly priced output transformer rather than the more typical expensive ones.

Is this thinking correct?

Mark

Previous Topic: Give me some balls!
Next Topic: 300b vs. Zen amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:56:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers