Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » SET Kits
Re: Audio Electronic AE-25 [message #10684 is a reply to message #10683] Sun, 22 August 2004 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That amp is push-pull.

Re: Nice Pix [message #10685 is a reply to message #10681] Tue, 24 August 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Hi Colin; I am unsure I understand your last post; are you saying this Cayin amp can be configured by the user to operate in either push-pull or SE? How do they do that with the output transformers? Thanks J.R.

Re: Nice Pix [message #10686 is a reply to message #10685] Tue, 24 August 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yes, that is correct. All you do is pull two tubes and re-bias.

See link for Cayin info: http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/cayinusa.html

See link for bias/class adjustment:
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/TA30ADJUSTMENTS.html

Pretty cool......

S.E.X.! re-release [message #10687 is a reply to message #10682] Tue, 24 August 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yeah, It looks pretty similar to the PARASex - both are based on the 6dn7. The new version is single chassis, whereas the old PARAsex was dual monoblock. What really sold me on the new SEX kit is there is no need for a preamp, which will require a high input voltage and it can be used as a headphone amp.

BTW, the PARASEX kit was my first DIY project ever, and it is still running flawlessly. I hope the new SEX kit holds up as well.....Colin

Re: Nice Pix [message #10688 is a reply to message #10686] Tue, 24 August 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Absolutely, so have you tried it yet?

Re: SET Kits [message #10689 is a reply to message #10677] Tue, 24 August 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AHENDLER is currently offline  AHENDLER
Esquire
I have just complete the Transcendent sound Single Ended OTL. This is a great low powered class A single ended OTL in kit form for $750.
Alan

Not yet [message #10690 is a reply to message #10688] Tue, 24 August 2004 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The Cayin has only been run in PP (35W) so far. My mains are Maggies, so the 4W SE mode would not bring anything to the "dance." I'm hopeing the Pi's I enventually order will work well with the Cayin and SEX kit. Damn, I'm going to need two pairs of speakers.

The list price of the TA-30 on the previously mentioned site is no where near what I paid. I got the bare-ones (sans Auricaps) model w/ sub out for around $550.

Re: Not yet [message #10691 is a reply to message #10690] Tue, 24 August 2004 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes it has a great rep. and it looks great on the site. When it is set for SE operation it is still wired as a pentode, is that correct? Thanks for taking the time to reply, I am interested in how this works,J.R.

Re: Not yet [message #10692 is a reply to message #10691] Tue, 24 August 2004 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I reread the link again, and it appears it is still wired in pentode. I don't know the specifics, but I remember seeing some schematics posted somewhere of the design. I'll look for them.

There was an article in audioXpress (1/02) on building a SE/PP amp using very few parts and easily switchable from on to the other. It used a Hammond 808 input transformer and a Hammond 125-E output. The article tauted the 125-E as being on the few transformers that can be used either way. Good article, and I really thought about building one; however, when one added up yhe cost, it really wasn't worth it (IMHO.).....Colin

Re: Not yet [message #10693 is a reply to message #10692] Tue, 24 August 2004 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats right, I remmember that article, he built it on a piece of wood and used an input transformer as a driver if I am not mistaken. You have brought up a very good point, some of these DIY amps can run into serious money. Matter of fact I bet you would pay more for parts for that Cayin than you paid for the amp; at least close anyway. Now that I think about it; there doesn't seem to be much point in building unless it is something rare or exotic. Amps have become so inexpensive as of late. Let me see; 160$ for a good power trans, 400 for a pair of opt's... HMMMM!( Lets don't forget 120$ worth of tubes if not more.)

Previous Topic: OTL amps
Next Topic: 11BM8 tube amp kits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:11:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout