Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » SET Kits
inexpensive gear [message #10694 is a reply to message #10693] Tue, 24 August 2004 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Check out the Chinese tube amps as of late, and you'll appreciate out how little they cost. Some of this stuff is a steal at factory direct pricing. If the cost of shipping can be brought down - now it's about 50% of unit price - these are going to take over the US market. I know in the past Chinese made goods have not had the best reputation for quality, but this stuff is getting scary good. Besides the Cayin, I have a ShengYa S-10 HDCD player, again Chinese made, and this thing is a tank.

I don't have the Chinese audio links on my home computer; they're at work (where else). I'll post some of my favotites tomorrow under new link. Kind of getting off the original subject post....Colin

Could you compare it with other SETs Alan? [message #10701 is a reply to message #10689] Wed, 25 August 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I considered this kit too, but then bought a 45 SET instead. I wold LOVE to hear your impressions of the OTL SET, Alan, esp. compared to other SETs.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: Could you compare it with other SETs Alan? [message #10703 is a reply to message #10701] Wed, 25 August 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AHENDLER is currently offline  AHENDLER
Esquire
Akhilesh,
I have only listened for about 8 hours and the amp is probably not broken in yet but I will give some initial comparisons. I have owned 4 set amps. In order of purchase they are Cary 805B, Cary 2A3, Korneff 45 and Transcendent SE-OTL. I must first say that all of these amps are excellent sounding amps. The Cary 2A3 is the best sounding Cary amp I have heard. It has much greater midrange resolution then the 805. The Korneff again has the midrange magic of a 45 tube based amp with great resolution although it is only 1.5 watts. The Transcendent wins hands down in all categories. Best resolution, thrilling dynamics, great base extension and super quiet. It is simply the best amp I have ever owned. It is also the cheapest. You do need high efficiency and stable impedance speakers for these amps. I really haven't given you that much info but it is really hard to put these things into words. You need to hear for yourself
Alan

I shouldn't have asked..... [message #10704 is a reply to message #10703] Wed, 25 August 2004 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Now I want one.....
:-(
thanx for the quick review, Alan. I am impressed that it sounds better than the korneff 45, to you. AS you lsiten to it more, I would be really interested in your thoughts.
thanx
-akhilesh

Re: SET Kits [message #10714 is a reply to message #10672] Sun, 29 August 2004 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
Do a google search and grab a pencil and paper and start writing down what you find. Make a list. There are lots of kits. Higher end kits are by Sunaudio, Yamamoto sound craft (try to find a Yamamoto kit sold in the Far East. The American distributor adds about $1K to the cost.) Welborne, AudioNote and many others. I own a Welborne 300b DRD "ultimate" with SS rectification. This amplifier has really high quality parts like ElectraPrint output transformers. The build quality is top notch for a 300b amp that rocks with my 100dB horns. The bass is tight and fast, and the mid-range, and highs are just outstanding. I am soon looking for a 45 pair of mono blocks to power my 110dB efficient TAD td-4001 2" 16 ohm compression drivers. So far the Welborne 45 DRD's are outfront on my short list. I need a 2nd pair to biamplifiy with my Marchand XM-126 2-way tube speaker crossover. Do not overlook DIY also. I just bought the Welborne wood chassis for my 300b DIY mono blocks for my apartment to drive my 93dB efficient JBL L300 Summit speakers. Just try to find a kit with high quality transformers. The iron is most important as are using good parts in a well thought out design. Even my DIY 300b amps will have Tango XE20S-2.5s output and Tamura 10H chokes. The power supply caps are paper in oil motor run caps. Lastly spend the money for good tubes. I am saving my pennies for WE 300b that are $709 a matched pair new. I currently use TJ 300b mesh plates and they are very good sounding. Have fun and remember that all audio is very subjective. None more so than tube audio to be sure. Many will give the nod to Bottlehead. I think for a little more money you get a much better sounding amplifier with the Welborne DRD line. Then again your stereo is only as good sounding as your speakers are. Good luck finding the right kit to build and have fun always in audio! John C. Framingham, MA

Re: SET Kits [message #10721 is a reply to message #10689] Sun, 05 September 2004 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drguayo is currently offline  drguayo
Viscount
I'm interested in building one of these. Was the kit fully complete or did you have to source some extra parts? What was your build time approx?

thanks
craig.

Re: SET Kits [message #10722 is a reply to message #10721] Tue, 07 September 2004 06:16 Go to previous message
AHENDLER is currently offline  AHENDLER
Esquire
The kit was complete with all parts and an excellent manual. It took me about 12 hours to build.

Previous Topic: OTL amps
Next Topic: 11BM8 tube amp kits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:11:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout