Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » SET 45
417A>45 SET in the works [message #10648 is a reply to message #10642] Thu, 15 July 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billfort is currently offline  billfort
Baron
Well, this is encouraging akhilesh! I’m currently building a 45 SET and had some reservations as to whether I’d be happy with the low power on my 100db eff. Altec 604’s. I may end up trying the 45 in a bi-amp configuration with my existing 300B SET on the 15” Altec woofers, I really like the bass with this combination.

The amp I’m building is VERY similar to yours – 417A driver, cap coupled (Jupiter beeswax), all James iron, Blackgate and Elna Cerafine caps, Mills, Riken, Tantalum and Caddock resistors, WE copper wire and Cardas unplated copper binding posts. All tubes will have AC heat but I’ll use humpots on the 45’s as I hear this adds more flexibility for tube swapping. The chassis will be punched stainless steel and SA Mahogany, similar to my first DIY 300B SET. So far I’ve rounded up Western and Northern Electric 417A, Raytheon 5842 and ST 45, RCA UX245 and a few NOS 5U4G and GT rectifier tubes to try. I’ve added Riken shunted ALPS blue velvet level pots for each channel so I can use these to attenuate the 604 horns when trying passive line-level crossovers. I’ll post a picture when I get a little further along on assembly.

Bill

Re: 417A>45 SET in the works [message #10649 is a reply to message #10648] Thu, 15 July 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Bill,
Do keep us posted as you build. You certainly have all the good ingredients! You may not need to biamp. I get very good bass on mine (enough for me at least). Unless you have differnt drivers which need biamping.
thanx
-akhilesh

making a little progress on my 45... [message #10651 is a reply to message #10648] Tue, 27 July 2004 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billfort is currently offline  billfort
Baron

I got the chassis finished and I’m starting on the wiring now on my 417A>45 SET. I spent a bunch of time in CAD designing this thing so assembly has gone pretty smoothly so far, no surprises. The tube sockets are in rubber mounted sub assemblies and I’ve used Audionote gold plated knobs to finish off the level pots, humpots and the front mounted rotary on/off switch. The stainless is brush finish and the mahogany finished in Watco natural Danish oil and paste wax wet sanded in up through #800 grit.

Absolutely gorgeous! [message #10652 is a reply to message #10651] Tue, 27 July 2004 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's really stunning. I heard Akhilesh's 45 amp, and it also uses James iron and all the other similarities that you and he already discussed. So I think I have a feel for how it sounds, especially nice with your fine Altec components. I'm also impressed with the care you have taken to give your amplifier such beautiful aesthetic appeal. I'll bet your speaker cabinets must also be just as nice. Impressive!

Re: Totally agree Wayne: it's the overall circuit that matters plus the parts. NT [message #10653 is a reply to message #10647] Tue, 27 July 2004 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vijay is currently offline  Vijay
Esquire
LOL

Re: making a little progress on my 45... [message #10654 is a reply to message #10651] Tue, 27 July 2004 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Certainly looks awesome, Bill. DO tell us how yours sounds too after it is done. I need to finish my kit amp (asl) after upgrading the auricaps.
-akhilesh

Re: making a little progress on my 45... [message #10655 is a reply to message #10651] Thu, 29 July 2004 21:33 Go to previous message
Bill Martinelli is currently offline  Bill Martinelli
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Hey now, That's very nice looking

Previous Topic: Tube Pre-Amp Recommendation
Next Topic: Metasonix TM-4
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:58:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio