Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Quick question about midhorn kit assembly
icon5.gif  Quick question about midhorn kit assembly [message #77588] Fri, 23 August 2013 18:45 Go to next message
Infrasonic is currently offline  Infrasonic
Chancellor
Hi Wayne! I finally got around to constructing the trio of midhorns I ordered earlier in the year. I had one quick question before I enclose the horn into a sealed enclosure....

I ordered a triple set of 10" gasket rings thinking I would need them for the driver mounting 'plate' however I noticed (or remembered) that the Delta 10 has it's own gasket on the front for such mounting. Now that I got the gaskets I think I really wouldn't need to use them unless I was using a 10" that didn't have such a gasket on the front.

Do you think I should use these extra set of gaskets?

Essentially it would just raise the driver 1/4" and put a 1/4" more cavity space where the cone transitions through the 4.5" throat. Does this make sense to you the way I am describing it, Wayne? To me it seems like it would be a benefit to not use the gasket I ordered and just mount the Delta 10 the way it is. Seems like there would be less likelihood of any leaks in the 'compression chamber' area if I don't add the extra gasket.

If I don't have to use them that would be great and I can save the set I ordered for the maybe day I change out the 10" for another driver. An AE TD10m maybe.

Anyway, let me know. Thanks!

- Scott
Re: Quick question about midhorn kit assembly [message #77592 is a reply to message #77588] Fri, 23 August 2013 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're exactly right and the gasket is available in case you are going to push your speakers hard, which protects the cone from hitting the plate at very high excursion. It doesn't add much front chamber volume so there is little penalty installing it, but then again, the driver excursion is not excessive so there isn't much gained installing it either. But if you're ever going to go over 100 watts, I'd suggest that you install them.

Re: Quick question about midhorn kit assembly [message #77601 is a reply to message #77588] Sat, 24 August 2013 16:25 Go to previous message
Infrasonic is currently offline  Infrasonic
Chancellor
Interesting. I never considered the excursion at all. With it's intended bandwidth anyway. I'll think about if I want to use that extra gasket or not. Heheh probably will since I got it.

Well that answers my question perfectly! Thanks for the informative and speedy reply, Wayne. Smile I'll be sure to let you know when my project is done.
Previous Topic: Nuthin' To Watch On TV?
Next Topic: Reckhorn S-1 electronic crossover???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:11:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio