Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » I just bought an ASUSA single-ended amp not delivered yet
I just bought an ASUSA single-ended amp not delivered yet [message #10599] Mon, 03 May 2004 10:52 Go to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Antique sound usa amp. with 5 db negative feedback..one 12ax7 tube and 2 el84s in SET mode.
Basically got it very cheap used of course, and am going to upgrade it with nicer caps, and do some tube rolling. it gives 4 watts per channel, and i am eagre to compare it to the zen se84C i have. They use the same tubes (well almost: the zen uses sv83 output). Except the zen has no negative feedback, and gives out 1.5 watts per channel. The output tubes on the zen last about a year, on this one they last maybe two years. SO i figure: a) i can upgrade to NOS outputs on this one unlike the zen, and b) the negative feedback may give me more slam... not sure.. i'll let you all know. Oh.. it uses solid state rectification too.. so i may upgrade the diodes as well...
Eager to hear how this baby will sound after upgrades.
Keep you all informed. IN the meantime, if anyone has suggestions, tips on upgrading...do jump in.
-akhilesh

Re: I just bought an ASUSA single-ended amp not delivered yet [message #10600 is a reply to message #10599] Mon, 03 May 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Wow, Cool! When do you think it will arrive?

Re: I just bought an ASUSA single-ended amp not delivered yet [message #10601 is a reply to message #10600] Mon, 03 May 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Not sure Wayne. maybe in a week or 10 days.
-akhilesh

Re: I just bought an ASUSA single-ended amp not delivered yet [message #10602 is a reply to message #10601] Mon, 03 May 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'll have to check that out. We'll get together this week and I'll check out your new amp next time. One sure thing to look at is caps; You remember Steve Bench's capacitor measurements. Good capacitors are an inexpensive upgrade. Good transformers are important, but those can get pretty expensive. Lots of people "roll tubes" and some swap resistors too. But I think the most important thing is to power it up and enjoy!

Re: I just bought an ASUSA single-ended amp not delivered yet [message #10603 is a reply to message #10602] Mon, 03 May 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Thanx Wayne. How about this thursday or Friday?
Assuming the amp works fine when i get it, i was going to listen to it in comparison with the zen, and then:

I was going to go with auric or some other metal film caps, and the critical resistors. Tube rolling, esp. when the tubes are going to last, is always cool. What i like is that it uses el84s and 12ax7s, which are plentiful, and has decent quality external parts. In terms of output trannies, the amp is down to 35Hz -1 db, so i am not going to mess with them...as you said they cost too much. This is purely low cost fun here!
A review of this amp on TNT-audio said it has a slight harshness to the sound on very rare passages like solo violin (compared to other mor eexpensive SETs). The review also said it had great bass.
Reviews on audioreview say this is a great SET, and only the zen triode sounds better.... i am curious if the zen will indeed sound better after i mod the caps & roll tubes...
ANyways, for whta it cost, it is worth keeping asa second amp!
-akhilesh

Re: I just bought an ASUSA single-ended amp not delivered yet [message #10604 is a reply to message #10603] Mon, 03 May 2004 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Wednesday or Thurday would be great, I'll plan to stop by.

Do you have any speaker projects planned for this summer? What about tube amp kits?

My plate is full, Full, FULL with all my π stuff. I even have a phono stage kit, new and in the unopened box, and I probably won't have a chance to mess with it 'till fall. Maybe late summer. I can't believe how busy I've allowed myself to become.

Re: I just bought an ASUSA single-ended amp not delivered yet [message #10605 is a reply to message #10603] Mon, 03 May 2004 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say Have you read the article and review in Vacumn Tube Valley on that amp, There are some suggestions concerning upgrades they make. I have it if you are interested, just e-mail me and I can send a printout of it. Or if you have that magazine I can tell you the issue.

Re: I just bought an ASUSA single-ended amp not delivered yet [message #10606 is a reply to message #10605] Tue, 04 May 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Not aware of that article! Thanx for pointing it out to me. I will send you a separate email, requesting a copy. Appreciate your mail!
-akhilesh

i lost your email: manualblock [message #10607 is a reply to message #10605] Tue, 04 May 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI!
Could you email me youraddress, and i will send you an email address that should hav enoiugh memory to receive the artivle?
thanx!
-akhilesh

Re: I just bought an ASUSA single-ended amp not delivered yet [message #10608 is a reply to message #10604] Tue, 04 May 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
HI Wayne,
How about thursday morning?
For this summer: plans are to tweak a couple of tube amps, and build final small cabinets for my supertweeter & notch filter/crossover).
ALso, plan to upgrade my DAC.
-akhilesh

Previous Topic: newbie? audiophile definitions
Next Topic: Electro-Harmonix 2A3 replacement for Valve Art 2A3
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 10:00:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers