Home » Audio » General » Best $29.95 I ever spent in my audio hobby
My impressions of Peter Aczel, and his magazine are quite the opposite [message #892 is a reply to message #889] Thu, 30 September 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I think his approach is scientific, and i LOVE the content of the back issues of the audio critic.

You are right, John, a lot of the audio community do not like him at all. I beg to differ though, on this one. I think he is great!

PLus for $29.95, how can anyone lose?
My advice, again: Get the 13 issues and read for yourself.
-akhilesh

Re: I disagree with your conclusions [message #894 is a reply to message #890] Thu, 30 September 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom1356 is currently offline  tom1356
Esquire
I agree with you that $30 is not a lot to spend for an education. Free is a lot less. The free article they have on their site is full of lies. They hold it up as an example of their magazine. All I can assume is that the magazines are full of lies also, bargins though they may be.

Re: My impressions of Peter Aczel, and his magazine are quite the opposite [message #896 is a reply to message #892] Thu, 30 September 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
You are Always a gentleman my friend. We agree to disagree.. As far as the 30$ I read all his stuff the first time around back in the early 80's. Same old same old.

Re: I disagree with your conclusions [message #898 is a reply to message #894] Thu, 30 September 2004 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh, I don't know guys. I can see that the editor is a controversial personality, and there's probably a whole lot more than I'm privy to. We had a discussion about this earlier, and I could see that Aczel was a hotbutton topic. So I realized there was probably a lot of history there.

All I know is that I scanned through an Audio Critic magazine about loudspeakers, and the articles in it were written by guys like Floyd E. Toole and Don Keele. As you might imagine, their articles were technical, scientifically based and accurate. I suppose there must have been some really controversial statements made in other issues of the magazine. But this one looked great to me, with what I thought were good articles written by industry heavyweights.

Re: I disagree with your conclusions [message #899 is a reply to message #898] Thu, 30 September 2004 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
If he is so famous how come we never heard of him? Hah? All I can say is with a name like Floyd Toole he better be famous.(comic relief)

Dr. Floyd E. Toole [message #902 is a reply to message #899] Thu, 30 September 2004 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Dr. Floyd E. Toole at the 109th AES convention.

Dr. Floyd E. Toole is the Vice President Acoustical Engineering of Harman International Industries, Inc. I've included a few links to his whitepapers and stuff, just for fun. I think he is an interesting guy, and you can read these articles without a magazine subscription.

• Floyd E. Toole background
  • Floyd E Toole interview, by Per Arne Almeflo
  • Whitepaper: Loudspeakers and Rooms for Multichannel Audio Reproduction, Part 1
  • Whitepaper: Loudspeakers and Rooms for Multichannel Audio Reproduction, Part 2
  • Whitepaper: Loudspeakers and Rooms for Multichannel Audio Reproduction, Part 3
  • Whitepaper: The Acoustical Design of Home Theaters
  • Whitepaper: Audio - Science in the Service of Art
  • Whitepaper: How Many Channels Do We Need To Believe That We Are "There"?

• Re: Dr. Floyd E. Toole [message #905 is a reply to message #902] Thu, 30 September 2004 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Illuminati (13th Degree)
    Thanks Wayne; your the best!

Re: Dr. Floyd E. Toole [message #906 is a reply to message #902] Thu, 30 September 2004 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Illuminati (3rd Degree)
    Nice Link, Wayne! Thanks.
    -akhilesh

Re: My impressions of Peter Aczel, and his magazine are quite the opposite [message #907 is a reply to message #896] Thu, 30 September 2004 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
    Illuminati (3rd Degree)
    John, I feel the same way about you. WE can have our small disagreements, and still be united in this awesome hobby!
    Have a good evening, and happy lsitening, sir!
    -akhilesh

Re: Dr. Floyd E. Toole [message #917 is a reply to message #902] Fri, 01 October 2004 11:49 Go to previous message
    Illuminati (13th Degree)
    Wayne Thanks again for those papers. Science in the Service of Art. Nice reading; nothing really new or to disagree with. The anecdotal description of the listening tests; while entertaining, have no real value w/o knowing the size of the statistical sample, of whom that sample is composed, and what other subliminal cues have been detected and neutralised. I know he takes a stab at doing just that and he states unequivically that this is not a rigidly controlled scientific example. However it does postulate scientifically derived conclusions and as such requires some rigor. This is hard to debate because there are emotions and personal allegiences involved. Maybe that is the real subjective/objective conundrum. To be truely objective, you would have to be anonymous, and self-funded. None of those around. I will say this, it's a better debate than that travesty we were subjected to on Thursday night at 9pm EST. Jeez, what an embarrasment! To be continued.

Previous Topic: If you think you've had a bad day, have a look at this. very funny! :P
    Next Topic: Triode & Co's David Cope to be married October 2
    Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 12:08:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
    DIY Audio Projects
    OddWatt Audio
    OddWatt Audio
    Pi Speakers
    Pi Speakers
    Prosound Shootout
    Prosound Shootout