Home » Audio » Source » ADCs
ADCs [message #77450] Thu, 08 August 2013 17:47 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, anyone out there have some suggestions for a not too costly ADC. Line in to USB out. I have some now, but in one way or another they are all deficient. An M Audio and Berringer are noisy, a Creative 5.1 is flaky and uses a lot of CPU power. The best of the lot is a 10 year old Creative SB Live External (BTW it has to be an external). It has Cirrus chips and uses fewest resources. It claims 24/96 but I suspect it is no where near the performance of things made in the past few years.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: ADCs [message #77455 is a reply to message #77450] Fri, 09 August 2013 12:44 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My favorite is the Linear LTC2378-20. But I'm probably kind of old-school on digital stuff, 'cause I just like the Nyquist stuff. Delta-Sigma is all the rage now, but I prefer successive approximation analog->digital and ladder digital->analog. So all the ADCs I've ever designed with were successive approximation devices. Their speed and resolution is great for instrumentation and audio use.

You might ping Keith Larson at Smith & Larson. He comes to LSAF most years and is my go-to guy for the latest digital techniques. He worked as an engineer for TI back when the transition from Nyquist to Delta-Sigma was happening, so he's very familiar with both approaches. Uses them in his speaker measurement gear.

Keith is very approachable, and you'll make a new life-long friend, so reach out to him. Tell him I sent you.

Previous Topic: 36 year old technology
Next Topic: What's the best Turntable new or used under 2K?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 08:51:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio