Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » 2A3 Upgrade (Paramour)
Re: tubes [message #10593 is a reply to message #10592] Thu, 08 April 2004 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Oh, yeah! I forgot about that!

Your Valve Art's are quieter? That, plus being blue, make's 'em quite a catch! I need to buy a few more so I can get a pair that aren't noisy.

As an aside, totally off-topic, I'm bustin' at the seams about a new project. You're gonna love it, as are all the other good woodsmiths. I can't wait to show and tell...

Re:Cool! I'm controversial! (nt) [message #10594 is a reply to message #10591] Thu, 08 April 2004 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Why of course, you're the controversial and elusive Till E. By the way, did you see the posts on the Craftsmen forum about a FAQ? I remembered at Lima, you suggested a video FAQ so I made mention of it. Seems like a pretty cool idea, to publish a how-to audio guide online, in print and on video.

And one more thing. This relates to nothing, but it's kinda fun. Check this out:

1000 is a thousand
1000000 is a million
1000000000 is a trillion
1000000000000 is a quadrillion
1000000000000000 is a quintillion
1000000000000000000 is a sextillion

Anything between that and infinity is a zillion.

I wanted to clarify the actual quantity of the number "zillion". Just trying to be helpful.

Re: 2A3 Upgrade (Paramour) [message #10650 is a reply to message #10559] Sun, 18 July 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FredT300B is currently offline  FredT300B
Chancellor
The Paramours are a great product for the money, but they are a "budget" entry level amp whose parts have been speced to satisfy a relatively low price point. In my mind this raises a question about how much money one would want to spend upgrading Paramours versus starting over with a more upscale product like the Paraglow or a Welborne DRD 2A3 amp. Each upgrade to the Paramours is only an incremental expense, but you could increment yourself to something that ultimately costs more than it's worth. I did the Bottlehead iron and caps upgrade, which is well worth the price, and upgraded to a Sovtek 2A3 (you really should have a backup pair of power tubes anyway). Beyond this I believe I would try to find a buyer for the Paramours and replace them with a Paraglow or a DRD.

Re: 2A3 Upgrade (Paramour) [message #10729 is a reply to message #10572] Wed, 15 September 2004 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It's been a few months now and my Electro-Harmonix 2A3's have a few hundred hours on 'em now. You're right - They've picked up that blue glow. Just wanted to check back in with you and let you know. I still remember you're the one that recommended these tubes, and a good recommendation it was too. Thanks.

Iron, Push Pull [message #10900 is a reply to message #10568] Sun, 19 December 2004 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Hey-Hey!!!,
You don't need any particular type of Iron. Stay class A, choke input PS, and no 'lytics. Of course good Iron helps a lot...

You are looking at the last amp I have assembeled/designed. Part of the Iron is salvaged from one sort of PS or another. Outputs are Heyboer's copies of the Peerless S265 with a few mods for this particular circuit. The finals are HY69's, a Thoriated Tungsten DHTetrode. The front end is an E-Linear cascode diff amp. Ec2 referenced to the cathode node instead of the usual ground through a voltage divider...

It makes about 15 watts.
regards,
Douglas

....damn Thrintun!

E-Linear [message #10901 is a reply to message #10900] Sun, 19 December 2004 17:43 Go to previous message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

and this is an example of an E-linear amp's circuit. No loop NFB. Single B+ supply.

It is the only thing I can think of that resembles a new valve circuit. If anybody can find me an example which resembles this, I would be very grateful.
regards,
Douglas

Previous Topic: tube sources needed
Next Topic: possible group build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:46:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers