Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » 2A3 Upgrade (Paramour)
2A3 Upgrade (Paramour) [message #10559] Fri, 05 March 2004 09:36 Go to next message
Nebs is currently offline  Nebs
Esquire
What are the most important parts to upgrade a 2A3 amp? The output transformer or the caps? What is the best tube?

Re: 2A3 Upgrade (Paramour) [message #10562 is a reply to message #10559] Fri, 05 March 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Depends on what transformer, cap, or tubes you're currently using.
I've never built a Bottlehead kit, so I'm not sure what the stock components are like.

Re: 2A3 Upgrade (Paramour) [message #10564 is a reply to message #10562] Fri, 05 March 2004 18:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nebs is currently offline  Nebs
Esquire
I don't know what kind of transformers are used either. People talk about upgrading to a Magnequest output transformer, that it's better. I don't know how much better though or the difference in cost between transformers in general. The caps in the power supply are electrolytics, the parafeed cap is made by Sprague. All resistors are made by Xicom.

Re: 2A3 Upgrade (Paramour) [message #10567 is a reply to message #10564] Sat, 06 March 2004 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
A zillion answers on the Bottlehead Forum but you're here, so what the heck. My experience with the 'Mours is that given the C4S, the output caps are #1 and Auricaps were great followed by Clarity. Surpriisng, the little coupling cap was a noticeable upgrade as well even tho an afterthought and all I did was replace the ceramic with a Solen.
Based on my experience with adding a choke to Ella, I think the BC-15 choke upgrade will be VERY good, replacing the whatchacallit resitor with the stock choke.
After all that, I feel that that the S.E.T. crowd is kidding itself with all this "palpable presence" stuff. These little designs roll off the treble and smear the mids so wacky speakers like Fostex and their ilk don't sound so bad. Gimme 40 or 60 Manly Push Pull EL-34 watts as G-D and Williamson intended!

K&K Lundahl Iron Push Pull [message #10568 is a reply to message #10567] Sun, 07 March 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Go to the K&K forumn and research PP all transformer choke loaded amps with good iron. Parafeed uses that big cap in the splitter that ruins everything! Many SE amps sound like crap, oops the Emporer is naked! I know I own one! I admitted it now it is time to get real, push pull all the way, Lundahl Iron. At least 20 watts triode.

Re: 2A3 Upgrade (Paramour) [message #10569 is a reply to message #10567] Sun, 14 March 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TC is currently offline  TC
Baron

Well, my amp collection includes a few el34 designs, dynas, SET's and a couple of PP el34's. If clean power is what you want then the Berning zh270 can put 100w into 2ohms at 2 hz. Still the best sound I get is the 45 tube driven by 801 and a parafeed preamp with HG rectifiers. Nothing wrong with PP el34's. But they're no contender for single ended done right. Actually for SE sound with big balls I lash the 10y parafeed preamp to the Berning, SET sweetness and the power of the sun. Sounds great with my wacky Fostex designs.

TC

Re: 2A3 Upgrade (Paramour) [message #10570 is a reply to message #10569] Sun, 14 March 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TC is currently offline  TC
Baron
And everytime I hear the Bottlehead stuff I am impressed. But then they almost always have the right speakers hooked to them.

Try the Tj meshplate 2a3, maybe change the bias for 45 tube operation.

Next amps on my list of must haves are P-Mour's. Less is Mour!

TC

Re: 2A3 Upgrade (Paramour) [message #10571 is a reply to message #10570] Sun, 14 March 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I really like the Paramours too. Plus Dan is a great guy.

I'm probably going to try some Electro-Harmonix tubes, but maybe TJ's or Sovteks or something else. But I love the cool blue glow of the inexpensive Valve Arts that come with the kit, and they sound good too when they don't click.

One of my Valve Art 2A3's clicks, and the problem is definitely in the tube - Symptoms follow the tube when swapped between amps. And the feedback I've gotten from others is that this is a common symptom that appears in about 50% of the Valve Art 2A3 tubes sampled(!) I wish that weren't the case 'cause I like their sound and love that blue glow.

Re: 2A3 Upgrade (Paramour) [message #10572 is a reply to message #10571] Tue, 16 March 2004 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeker is currently offline  Seeker
Baron
Hey Wayne, my Electro-Harmonix 2A3 tubes have that cool blue glow. They didn't at first, but the do now. Try them, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Re: 2A3 Upgrade (Paramour) [message #10573 is a reply to message #10572] Tue, 16 March 2004 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks for the tip about Electro-Harmonix 2A3 tubes. I'll order a pair today and give them a try. Where did you order yours? If I can order online, I'll make a few clicks and get them on their way right now.

Previous Topic: tube sources needed
Next Topic: possible group build
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:51:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout