Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2pi tower finished ... finally!
Nice woodwork! [message #77398 is a reply to message #77310] Sat, 03 August 2013 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spkrman57
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Giampiero,

At first glance I thought they were "RTR" type cabinets with butcher-block sides.

Regards, Ron
Re: 2pi tower finished ... finally! [message #77415 is a reply to message #77310] Mon, 05 August 2013 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jump is currently offline  Jump
Baron
Hi Ron,

I don't know the RTR loudspeakers... sorry!

Scuse me Ron, but I do not understand "butcher-block" ... can you explain me its meaning, please?
Thanks

Regards
Giampiero - Italy
Re: 2pi tower finished ... finally! [message #77416 is a reply to message #77415] Mon, 05 August 2013 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justphil is currently offline  justphil
Viscount
Butcher Block is a reference to a cutting board for chopping up meats and vegetables that is made up of various small slats of a hardwood.
Re: 2pi tower finished ... finally! [message #77435 is a reply to message #77416] Wed, 07 August 2013 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Justphil, thanks for the explanation.

Hi Spkrman57, I'm not sure I can consider it a compliment ... but thanks all the same because it was funny! Laughing
Re: 2pi tower finished ... finally! [message #77438 is a reply to message #77435] Wed, 07 August 2013 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think Ron was trying to describe the cabinet construction as a composite, meaning a collection of parts assembled to form a block. This is the kind of butcher block I pictured when he said that:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1237&private=0
Re: 2pi tower finished ... finally! [message #77444 is a reply to message #77438] Thu, 08 August 2013 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi,

don't worry Wayne, really there is no problem for me, after all I wrote that any advice or curiosity was welcome... and I would have to add any opinions too! Smile

My problem is that unfortunately I do not always understand everything you write, and I'm not always able to express exactly what I want to tell you!
So I ask you only to have a little bit of patience with me! Smile

By the way, the burning of my 2pi tower proceeds...

Giampiero - Italy
Re: 2pi tower finished ... finally! [message #77454 is a reply to message #77310] Fri, 09 August 2013 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi everybody,

From two weeks my 2pi tower are burning, and from 2 days I don't hear any change in their sound, so it's time for a little review!

They are positioned in a living room of about 30 square meters, close to the rear wall, about 20 cm of air, and slightly angled toward the listener who sits about 3.5-4 meters from them. The distance between the two towers is about 2 meters, but when listening carefully I increase the distance up to about 2.5 meters.

The digital source is a Teac VRDS25X modded in the output stage by Aurion Audio that, waiting for ripare a mechanical damage I'm using it as a dac with a dvd player LG used as mechanical.
Passive preamp Promitheus Audio TVC SE, active tube preamp with ecc88 and 2 Trends Audio TA10.1 as amplifiers. Various copper cables for interconnects, speaker and power.

I recently sold my "Integrato 807" by Estro Armonico, a wonderful push-pull integrated amplifier with 807 tubes that drove my previous Klipsch RF-7 with great power and musicality...

index.php?t=getfile&id=1238&private=0

... so I used initially the passive preamplifier with my 2 Class D, but the sound was poor, flat, little transparency, and lacking the extremes of the audio band... I was sincerely disappointed!

A few days later a friend of mine takes me home an active preamp tube, based on a SRPP circuit with ECC88, that I put between the CD and the passive preamp, using it as a buffer.

Well, from that moment my 2pi tower started to play really in a way that I did not expect, considering the low cost of the speakers!
The sound is alive, full-bodied, transparent but very musical, and extended from top to bottom.
With acoustic music I enjoyed the reality of the timbre of the instruments, while with amplified music I like the feeling of power and the punch of these speakers.

In the coming days I will try the tube preamplifier without the passive preamplifier, I'll report you the results.

Honestly speaking, in the range of the Wayne's speakers the 4pi were my first choice, but due to the high cost of the speakers I decided to build the 2pi hoping to get a good sound ... but I never thought of getting a sound so real, alive and enjoyable!

I'm so excited that I'm thinking of replacing the economic capacitor Jantzen Audio Cross Cap with a more performance Z-Superior Cap or Obbligato Gold to further improve the transparency of the medium and high frequencies!

I want to make my compliments to Wayne for having designed an affordable but very good sounding loudspeaker!
Thank you very much Wayne.

Any advice, curiosity or opinion is welcome.

Giampiero - Italy

PS: as usual, sorry for any language errors!
  • Attachment: DSC00181.jpg
    (Size: 660.48KB, Downloaded 5712 times)
Re: 2pi tower finished ... finally! [message #77508 is a reply to message #77310] Sat, 17 August 2013 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Everyone,

Wayne sent to me a couple of silver "Pi" logo decals...

index.php?t=getfile&id=1266&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1267&private=0

... now they are really complete!

Thank you very much Wayne.

Giampiero - Italy

Re: 2pi tower finished ... finally! [message #77510 is a reply to message #77508] Sat, 17 August 2013 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Nice!

Re: 2pi tower finished ... finally! [message #77515 is a reply to message #77508] Sat, 17 August 2013 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just went into my Film Cap box, I thought I had a pair of .33 or .47 Jantzen Supremes I could send to you but they turned out to be 1.0s.

The reason they're sitting in a box and not capacitating is because they're not nearly as good sounding as the Obbligato caps I've been using exclusively in speakers and amp circuits for about 8 years.

Previous Topic: Speaker Tweaks
Next Topic: 2pi bass reflex as central channel?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:45:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio