Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Freon? Car AC? (Car advice, please)
Freon? Car AC? [message #77290] Thu, 25 July 2013 20:47 Go to next message
The Mother is currently offline  The Mother
Baron
Does anyone know if there is a substitute for Freon that is available to normal people? I mean, I'm pretty sure no one can get real Freon, but there must be substitutes. There's still air conditioning. I've been told that even the substitutes are controlled. I'm not sure I believe that.
I've had one of our cars down to the garage for the air conditioning not cooling. They basically just refilled the coolant, and added dye. They told me to drive it around and see if that worked. If it quits cooling I might have a leak, and the dye will show where! And it cost $200! It took less time than an oil change! The other old car has exactly the same symptoms, but I just can't justify that kind of money on that old thing.
Does anyone know of a do-it-yourself solution?

If at first you don't succeed, go back and do it the way Mother told you to.
Re: Freon? Car AC? [message #77292 is a reply to message #77290] Fri, 26 July 2013 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can buy the R-134, the dye, a black-light that exposes the leak (if any) and the fittings and guages to do the work yourself. It's not all that hard.

One thing though - Be careful not to open the high-pressure side to the refill can when the system is mostly charged and running...

Re: Freon? Car AC? [message #77297 is a reply to message #77292] Fri, 26 July 2013 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes a problem with older vehicles. Th e134 will work. There is a type that contains the proper seal conditioner for older vehicles. All the 134 may have it now. For a while there was some that did not work in older vehicles. My experience with the 134 is that is doesn't work as well though in olde vehicles. Better than not having it and a lot cheaper than freon. It is available, but quite costly.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Freon? Car AC? [message #77340 is a reply to message #77290] Tue, 30 July 2013 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Mother is currently offline  The Mother
Baron
Thanks both of you for the info!

If at first you don't succeed, go back and do it the way Mother told you to.
Re: Freon? Car AC? [message #77378 is a reply to message #77290] Thu, 01 August 2013 19:04 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Back around the late '90s or early 2000's, a co-worker told me about a R12 substitute called Freeze 12. My older car's AC system was low on refrigerant, and I charged it with the stuff on his recommendation. It worked superbly; at least as well as real R12. I don't know if it's still available, but if so it's definitely an excellent product.

Thermionic

Previous Topic: Drill and Transformers Don't mix
Next Topic: Were you surprised about the spying?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 22:50:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio